    course I want it to take a decent picture, so I'm not looking for one of
    those cheapie "no name" brands.

    Any suggestions?

    Joanne, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Joanne

    Joanne Guest

    Forgot to mention, I'd also like 3x or higher optical zoom.

    Joanne, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Joanne

    Mark Johnson Guest

    You know, I wonder if anyone would just recommend the 'pro-sumer',
    supposedly, super-zoom cameras, with the 10x optical, and whatever
    digital crop/enlargement. I think a Kodak has 56x zoom, but without
    stabilization. I think these are all fairly point and shoot, aren't
    they? And say, on ebay, the price of a Oly 750 or similar zoom must be
    pretty reasonable. Maybe just a nice trip camera. And you can get
    close-ups of the local bugs, to boot.

    Mark Johnson, Nov 24, 2003
  4. Joanne

    Mark Herring Guest

    Canon A-60 or A70

    I have the A40, and it is great---easy to use

    Dont understand the part about size (3x4 inches) This would equate
    to one of the more expensive cameras
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Mark Herring, Nov 24, 2003
  5. Joanne

    Steve Guest

    Joanne:

    Check out either the Nikon Coolpix 2100 (2MP) or 3100 (3MP). I got a 3100
    to replace a defective A series Canon that Canon U.S.A. failed to repair 3
    times. The Nikon 2100 and 3100 were definitely designed for the
    "non-techie" in mind with various "assist modes" and "scene modes" that
    permit the "non-techie" to choose from such settings as "portrait" (camera
    opens up the f/stop for decreased depth of field), "landscape" (camera
    closes down the f/stop for increased depth of field), "sports" (camera
    increases the shutter speed) and "musuem" (camera decreases the shutter
    speed).

    While "techies" will be more comfortable with the traditional approach of
    setting their own shutter speed and f/stop, the "no-techie" will appreciate
    how user-friendly Nikon has designed the 2100 and 3100 with very logical
    menus, "one-touch download", an on-camera "trash can" for deleting unwanted
    pics, and very well positioned controls. After over 30 years with 35 mm
    photography, I can say that Nikon really designed these cameras to give the
    "non-techie" lots of options in easy to understand "non-techie" terms.

    I would NOT recommend either the Canon A60 or A70 as they are basically a
    "techie's camera" loaded with lots of "techie" features that you will
    probably never use. Also the A series Canons have developed a strong
    reputation for a high number of defects including bad lenses, bad CCD's, bad
    LCDs and the notorious Canon soft image problem which will require that you
    also purchase some "very-techie" editing software such as Photo Shop or
    Paint Shop Pro to correct for the loss of detail caused by the soft images.
    Finally, in my 30 years of photography, I will also say that Canon customer
    service is the absolute worse that I have ever encountered.

    I would recommend either the Nikon Coolpix 2100 or 3100.

    Good luck,

    Steve

    Steve, Nov 24, 2003
  6. Joanne

    zbzbzb Guest

    I would NOT recommend either the Canon A60 or A70 as they are basically a
    I recently bought an A80 and the LCD display was bad right out the box. The
    replacement camera so far is fine. As for Canon customer service, and
    especially repair, I would definitely agree. My experience with them for a
    repair lasted almost 3 months, 3 repair attempts, about 15 calls, including a
    few ignored messages and promises to call back, and quie a few other bizarre
    things. Unbelievably unprofessional service. If I hadn't gotten a good deal on
    the Canon I likely would never have bought it.

    zbzbzb, Nov 24, 2003
  7. Joanne

    Steve Guest

    zbzbzb:

    The word is getting out through this NG and other internet forums about how
    many defective Canon digicams there are and how bad Canon customer service
    and repair is. How did you get Canon to replace your camera? Right now, I
    am looking at legal action against Canon for my situation.

    Steve

    Steve, Nov 24, 2003
  8. Joanne

    Joanne Guest

    Other than the physical size of these cameras they sound perfect.
    Unfortunately I don't think my hubby would be able to handle them
    comfortably because they're so small. He's worked with his hands his whole
    life (housepainting, construction, etc.) and doesn't have good fine finger
    movement. His hands are roughened and his fingers are somewhat "stiff" (not
    arthritic, just problematic when trying to use small buttons, controls,
    etc.)

    I've been looking around and there doesn't seem to be a camera that he could
    physically handle well. The closest would be the Sony Mavicas but they
    don't have EVFs. I had him try my Panasonic FZ1 (4.9" x 2.8" x 3.3") and he
    said it felt too small for him.

    Joanne, Nov 24, 2003
  9. Why a digital camera? A digicam implies computer work, something that
    he's not comportable with. A digital camera requires someone (maybe
    you?) to download, store, organize, print and archive image files.

    -Dave

    Dave Herzstein, Nov 24, 2003
  10. Joanne

    Joanne Guest

    My idea was that he would use it to document jobs he's done and I can create
    a portfolio for him. Digital because film is too blasted expensive to
    develop and there would be a lot of unusable or unneeded shots. With
    digital he can take as many pics as he wants and we can choose the best
    ones.

    Joanne, Nov 24, 2003
  11. I suggest somehting from the Olympus D-5XX series. Other cameras that were
    mentioned are good, but I think the Olympus cameras are less expensive for
    comparable features. If he can handle a point-and-shoot 35 mm camera, he
    can handle one of these.

    Marvin Margoshes, Nov 24, 2003
  12. Joanne

    Nick C Guest

    When I read someone say "Digital because film is too blasted expensive
    to develop and there would be a lot of unusable or unneeded shots.
    With digital he can take as many pics as he wants and we can choose the
    best ones."

    I think it's too late to talk. Sales pitches and advertising, which
    never tells the whole story, has played the game and "Gotcha."

    Good luck.

    Nick

    Nick C, Nov 25, 2003
  13. Joanne

    Mark Herring Guest

    Amen---- A low end digital camera---eg 2Mp will take very good
    pictures and---IF USED EFFICIENTLY--will save you a bunch of money
    over film and processing. I ahve already proven this with my Canon
    A40.

    To achieve the savings, youhave to be willing to spend some time at
    the computer sorting and preprocessing and selecting the best shots.

    Mark Herring, Nov 25, 2003
  14. Joanne

    Steve Guest

    Joanne:

    You ponit is well taken. Both of these cameras are quite small, and while I
    have small hands, someone else my find their size difficult.

    Steve

    Steve, Nov 25, 2003