    to make sure I capture the best of the holiday.

    Thanks for you help,

    Phil.

    Phil C, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Phil C

    Jim Waggener Guest

    I would buy a Canon over anything Kodak offers. IMO

    Jim Waggener, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Phil C

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Subjective, biased.
    Worse, unsupported by even anecdotal evidence.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 6, 2004
  4. Phil C

    Jim Waggener Guest

    And your opinion regarding Canon vs. Kodak as camera makers is.....?

    Jim Waggener, Feb 6, 2004
  5. Phil C

    Rudy Garcia Guest

    Don't know about the A80, but the 10X on the D6490 is really sweet.

    The 6490 also has a long lasting battery that can take quite a few shots
    in between charges (a factor to consider when traveling) and a good
    tripod socket.

    Other features that may interest you:

    PC connector for external flash/strobes so you are not bound by the low
    power built in flash.

    Multiple metering modes, from full auto to full manual.

    Nice LCD display, easily visible in daylight.

    Good color rendition and sharpness.

    On the not so nice side:

    Easy share SW problems have been reported on this board. Since I use a
    Mac with OS 9.X, Easy share doesn't do much for me. I prefer to put the
    memory on a card reader.

    Although a camera dock comes standard (in the USA anyway), charges the
    battery and enables Easy share file transfers, I would have prefered the
    optional travel charger instead.

    No support for add-on filters at this time. Maybe later.

    Rudy Garcia, Feb 6, 2004
  6. Phil C

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I have none. But long experience with Kodak tends to argue against
    dismissing them without consideration. One should do his research
    without being limited by preconceived notions or bias.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 6, 2004
  7. Phil C

    Tom Monego Guest

    Just here to canvas opinion on both of the above cameras. I like the
    The Canon A80 has a good rep, though the G5 a better one, how much more is
    that, worth thinking a little about.
    Saw a Kodak Tuesday, the can you look at my digital camera question from a
    coworker. Looks nice, her pics did too. She doesn't have a computer so she
    bought the little printer, again nice pics, though maxes out at 4x6. I wonder
    about dye sub longevity too.
    Your right a hard choice do you want an underwater housing or the 10x zoom,
    only you can make that decsion. But remember with a 10x zoom and no image
    stabilization you are going to have shakey pics, you will need a tripod.

    Tom

    Tom Monego, Feb 6, 2004
  8. Phil C

    Phil C Guest

    With regard to the below comment, if the Kodak have a 10x zoom on it,
    at what kind of zoom will shake start to affect the picture? If it is
    over 5 or 6 then that will not matter too much and I would be tempted
    to go for the Kodak even without hte underwater housing. BUT, if
    camera shake will be much more noticable at around 3/4x zom (not much
    more than that of the A80, I woud be more likely to consider the canon
    because it has the underwater houseing.
    Sory if any of these questions are a little obvious but I am pretty
    new to the (digital) photography thing.

    Thanks again,

    Phil C.

    PS. Anyone else got an opinion of the Canon A80 vs. G5?

    Phil C, Feb 7, 2004
  9. Phil C

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Shake is highly dependent on a lot of things, such as how much coffee
    you drank today, where you are, wind, vibration (such as on a boat), and
    any other motion. Just imagine that every time you increase that number
    of the zoom, the shake doubles. That may not be the technically correct
    answer, but it will give you an idea what the problem is. I would say
    that above 5X most people will require some bracing to make a good
    picture, and a tripod or such above 6X.
    Or maybe you are a rock-steady brain surgeon and can hand-hold a 30
    second exposure at 10X...

    Ron Hunter, Feb 7, 2004
  10. Phil C

    Dave Guest

    But why do you say that? What gives Canon the advantage over Kodak?
    Did they invent the technology? Nope, that belongs to Kodak in 1977.
    Canon does make good cameras, no doubt about it! But to just come right
    out and say that they are way better than Kodak just doesn't cut it.

    Dave, Feb 8, 2004
  11. Phil C

    Ron Hunter Guest

    It's called subjective bias. He likes Canon better for what are
    probably personal reasons.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 8, 2004
  12. Phil C

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Phil,

    Just a note about lenses that are at their extreme, i.e. the Kodak DX6490
    and others that might have similar features, require a very steady hand. I
    would suggest noting some helpful techniques in making sure you are getting
    good support before trying shots are fully extended Telephoto positions. If
    you use the digital, it is exaggerated more.

    If you have use binoculars, in the past, you may have noticed that the
    subject is hard to follow if it moves and that the background of the
    subject, when in view, also will waver a bit. This is at magnifications of
    say 30x and such.

    So, when you are shooting with a camera at extensions like that, you are
    well advised to use some kind of support for those shots. Using a fast
    shutter speed will
    also make a difference.

    Personally, Phil, as I noted, there could be many reasons why the pictures
    seem a bit soft and out of focus. I suggest you place the camera on a table
    or other stable surface and use the Self-Timer feature. This will eliminate
    any possible camera shake while the picture is taken.

    When you are going to take pictures while holding the camera, a good stance
    is important in getting a good picture. Stand with your legs about two feet
    apart with your arms close to your sides. Hold the camera comfortably, but
    in a way that is not blocking the flash or the meter of the camera. If you
    are going to take a picture using the viewfinder, keep this stance and bring
    the camera gently to your forehead. View the image with both eyes open if
    you are using the viewfinder and compose the picture. When you are ready to
    snap the shutter, press the shutter half way to set the camera mechanics for
    exposure. When ready to capture the image, do it slowly, yet deliberately,
    avoiding any jerky motions. Note: Digital cameras take just a split second
    longer to capture the picture so keep your position for just a second longer
    than you would with a film camera. This will help you prevent blurring due
    to removing the camera from the picture taking stance too soon.

    If you are going to use the view-screen to preview your composition, use the
    same techniques as noted, but do not hold the camera to your forehead. It
    will be a bit more difficult to keep a good stance, as you will not have the
    option of steadying the camera against your forehead. So, to limit blur,
    lean against a wall, rest your elbows, or use some other object, if
    possible. Try to rest your arms on something in front of you. The object
    here, is to make sure you have the support to steady the camera and prevent
    camera movement during exposure.

    If the images are clear, and sharp, using the self timer, consider this
    process each time you take a picture. It will soon become second nature to
    you.

    Talk to you soon, Phil,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company