Different types of video output - I'm confused

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by robotiser, Jul 25, 2007.

  1. robotiser

    robotiser Guest

    I have a new DVD player (Logik LD3330 - yes, I'm a cheapskate who
    wanted to try making DIVXs of home movies). I'm rather confused by the
    large number of video outputs. It has a SCART cable, and the manual
    says to set video output to TV-RGB if using SCART. It also has YPbPr
    component video output, Composite video output, and S-Video output. As
    far as I can tell from reading on the web, Composite is bad, all the
    others are better. My TV is a Toshiba 21S23. This has only SCART
    input, and composite video input (one, on the front). The specs on
    Toshiba site list its input as SCART 2, RGB 1. S-Video is listed as
    "SCART only". I'm not sure what they mean listing the RGB input
    separate to the SCART connections.

    Can I presume that the DVD is outputting RGB video through SCART, and
    the television is reading this information during DVD playback. Hence
    new/fancy cables are unlikely to give me a better picture? Or, is
    there something which means that I could be getting worse pictures
    from my setup than I should do?

    robotiser, Jul 25, 2007

  2. It probably means it has two SCARTs, one of which is RGB capable. I
    suspect the other one is S-Video capable.

    I don't know Toshiba TVs, but it's usual for manufacturers to make
    SCART1 the RGB-capable one.

    If RGB is enabled on the DVD player SCART, the TV should automatically
    switch to RGB input. You could see if you can switch RGB off in the
    player setup menu and see if there's a difference - find a DVD menu
    with lots of fine text on it, this should show off the difference
    quite well.

    Steve

    The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
    http://www.restoration-team.co.uk

    Steve Roberts, Jul 25, 2007

  3. robotiser

    robotiser Guest

    Thanks. It looks like my system is fairly well set up (DVD player into
    RGB capable SCART) for the price of the components.

    robotiser, Jul 29, 2007