    the Policies and Procedures Committee, mainly because not a one of them knows
    how to make a spreadsheet. So, I get to do that for them now, too.

    I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or just scream.

    Mara, Feb 12, 2006

  2. b.saa

    Mara Guest

    Have you ever had a raise?
    I'd start putting out resumes. I wouldn't let anyone know about it right away,
    though. Someone with your experience shouldn't have a problem finding a job
    where they actually value their employees, at least more than your current
    employer does.

    They weren't actually going to give me what I wanted, I don't think. Their first
    offer was only $2 above what I was making - about what McDonald's employees
    start at. That offended the hell out of me, and I wasn't about to back down
    because I knew there was *no one* in the area who could do the job, and had they
    offered it to someone from the outside at that wage, they would have been
    laughed at.

    There's a lot of stuff I don't know, and that worries me. Especially the HIPAA
    stuff. But at least I can keep the network running, and have since April, by
    myself. I'll even let you in on a little secret - I'd never worked with a domain
    network until then. <bg>

    They really got taken for a ride. I keep finding horrifying stuff. Like one
    server, no backup. The server is actually about half the box I'm typing this
    on....

    He needs to be written up for that. Especially if it's ongoing. You should talk
    to people about it, since obviously nothing else is working.

    I'm going to see if I can't contract out to Siemens to take care of our laptop
    security. It's my biggest problem, and I don't have time to babysit them.
    NP. I know the feeling, and sympathise. :)

    Mara, Feb 12, 2006

  3. b.saa

    why? Guest

    I don't get asked to stuff like that, lucky me.
    Scream didn't work.

    The recent bit of sheer idiocy is email is slow because there are number
    of hops (8 including long haul ATM) in a traceroute between a PC / email
    server. So no one looks at the call beacuse of it. The comment was -
    There are 8 hops and the PCs is too far away from the mail server and
    the servers in between cause the issues.

    The WAN managment team and I at least got a laugh out of it before
    thinking how stupid the idiot that put the comment in the call log,
    which can be accessed by the customer.

    Me

    why?, Feb 12, 2006
  4. b.saa

    why? Guest

    That's what they call it.

    1 yr 0%
    1 yr at 1.02% Tax etc., made a dent there.
    2 years of 0%
    Last was 2.012% IIRC. Somebody worked out I just got luck by a small
    margin, otherwise tax etc would have meant a reduction.
    (Only because you can't get 0% 3 years in a row)

    That's with the last 2 people that did my review saying I was a SME
    (subject matter expert) in several key areas.

    Waiting this year for the other half of the company bonus. However the
    powers that be included the total in last years salary, to make it sound
    good. Until the possibility of not getting 2nd half.

    One useless type IIRC, not long before they left got something like
    7.5%, caused a lot of complaints. So they left saying thier base salary
    was that much higher <groan>

    That's what someone else said.

    LOL, watch out for those Windows Server boys, like to blame the network
    :) or the non-Windows DNS , or the routing or the ....
    We are pushing encryption of disk contents and the new central policy /
    security server will push out locked down profiles to laptops when they
    are connected.

    <snip>

    Your issue sounds like too few people and too much work, mine is similar
    although it's too many people / departments above me and each
    responsible for thier little bit of things. I did work once in a smaller
    outfit of 7 people, much nicer environment, not the pay though. This
    being part of a big international company makes one a small fish.

    Me

    why?, Feb 12, 2006
  5. b.saa

    Mara Guest

    I'm surprised this guy is still working there.

    "If that's what you'd call it."

    Mara, Feb 12, 2006
  6. b.saa

    Plato Guest

    I got one for you. It's called shoveling the snow OUT OF YOUR HOUSE. Our
    back door blew in last night and there was 3 feet of snow in the hallway
    when we woke up.

    Plato, Feb 12, 2006
  7. b.saa

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Plato spewed forth:
    Not my kind of hobby - thanks! But I fully understand - I grew up in
    Anchorage AK. I know snow <g>

    Toolman Tim, Feb 12, 2006
  8. b.saa

    Mara Guest

    <BOGGLE>

    You need a different job. For sure.
    Sure. Riiiight.
    They're not called "notworks" for nothing. <g>

    Our is actually pretty stable,considering. The actual machines are pure crap,
    though. The HP network printers are even worse. They keep dropping connections
    for no reason I can find, and of course I get to listen to the screaming when
    people have to restart their machines to get them back. It's the only way,
    though.
    I'd love to do something like that, but we only have the one server right now,
    and it's taxed to the limit. I'd like to add an IDS appliance in front of the
    server, but we're actually a subnet that runs through a bigger area-wide
    network, and no one knows what the hell's going on, including the people at the
    other network. All this was put in by one man, and he didn't tell anyone at work
    anything about it. Nothing. I've got four switches/routers, and no one knows how
    to find the IP addresses to them - I've never run big Ciscos before, and the
    other network hasn't a clue either.

    I sense a disaster in the making, with that.
    You're right, of course, and I really don't plan on staying here any longer than
    I have to. But that might be awhile - this town has less than 1,500 population
    and there simply aren't any other jobs that come close to this pay scale. Or any
    other jobs at all, for that matter.

    That said, I really do think you should consider looking for another job. Yours
    doesn't seem to have much of a future, and that fact alone, in this business,
    can lead to such fun things as depression, etc..

    "Trust me. BTDTGTTS."

    Mara, Feb 12, 2006
  9. b.saa

    Plato Guest

    No shit? Tell me about Alaska/Anchorage. I'm really interested in
    ANYTHING you have to say about it.

    Plato, Feb 13, 2006
  10. b.saa

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Plato spewed forth:
    Oh geez...it's been so long...I left over 25 years ago. Anchorage is really
    just another all-around medium size city. At the time, perhaps a little
    behind in the performing arts and such, but that was getting better all the
    time. The weather is the only thing different. I remember walking to school
    during the winter many days in several inches of new snow. In the dark. The
    sun wasn't up yet. And we'd be in class all day - too cold to do much
    outside - then walk home in the dark. The sun had already set.

    We had our own local hamburger chain - Grizzly Burger (honest!). Dad and I
    would have contests to see who got the longest french fries. The local
    potatoes grown in Palmer AK were often more than a foot long. Awesome <g>

    I remember freezing my a** over and over. And my toes. I have very poor
    circulation in my feet from too many days with severely cold feet. Never
    really frozen, but as a kid I thought they were.

    But the area is spectactular - fishing and hunting, winter sports, all that.
    I can remember walking in Campbell Creek during the salmon spawn - these
    fish were 3, 4, sometimes 5 feet long...swimming right through town.
    Awesome. Of course, by spawning time, the fish were wasted and no good to
    eat. But spectacular to see them in only a foot or two of water.

    I've been thinking about going back for a vacation. My brother did a couple
    of years ago. And Mom wants to do a cruise up the Alaska coast to see places
    we didn't get to visit when we where living there. Not cheap, but quite an
    interesting idea. I think we should do that in a couple of years.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 13, 2006
  11. Toolman Tim gibbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    I graduated HS in Nome. My folks worked for the BIA (formerly the ANS), and
    I lived in such places as Nunapitchuk, Hooper Bay, and Selawik. The real
    Alaskan bush, as it were.

    The Old Sourdough, Feb 13, 2006
  12. My best buddy spent a couple years at Eielson AFB, outside Fairbanks.
    Does the term "tundra beast" mean anything to you, a native?

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 13, 2006
  13. b.saa

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In The Old Sourdough spewed forth:
    Oh yeah - been there. Short trip, almost got to Kotzebue once, but the trip
    was canceled. These were church mission trips - stuff like that. The area
    around Nome is way different than Anchorage. I don't think I would have
    liked the winters there <g>

    Toolman Tim, Feb 13, 2006
  14. Toolman Tim gibbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    Ah, winters weren't too bad there, compared to Fairbanks and places in the
    interior. Being on the Bering Sea helps to moderate the climate a bit.
    Every once in a while, though, Nome gets one helluva storm. I left there
    many moons ago and also haven't been back for a long time, but I'm hoping
    to make trip up there after I retire.

    Yeah, a cruise up the Inside Passage in Southeastern is a nice trip,
    Ketchikan, Sitka, Juneau. Made the trip a few times, when I was a kid, on
    the old Alaska Steamship Lines, The SS Baranof and the SS Denali.

    The Old Sourdough, Feb 13, 2006
  15. b.saa

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
    Ummmm...no.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 13, 2006
  16. Wondered if was just an AF phrase. Referred to what would appear to
    be a large percentage of the local women. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 13, 2006
  17. b.saa

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In The Old Sourdough spewed forth:
    Yeah - we were tied into the areas we could travel by roads. I remember the
    Kenai Penninsula, fishing off the spit in Homer, stuff like that. We
    traveled to Fairbanks a few times, Denali Highway, and hit a lot of little
    stops on the way. Dad and I drove in on the Alcan (it wasn't called the
    Alaska Highway until later). So we got to see a LOT of Alaska that way.

    Here's a neat piece of history: I was *at* the start of the first annual run
    of the Iditarod race in 1973! I was just a kid - still in high school.
    Someday I want to be in Nome for the end of one. I get the official
    newsletters from www.iditarod.com - the race starts in just over two weeks
    this year <g>

    Toolman Tim, Feb 13, 2006
  18. b.saa

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
    Heh heh - makes good sense in that usage <g>

    Toolman Tim, Feb 13, 2006
  19. b.saa

    why? Guest

    Hayfever :)
    24HSHD?

    10 PC network/ 10 OS?

    Me

    why?, Feb 13, 2006
  20. b.saa

    why? Guest

    I was too young to do that when it snowed. Lived near Boston MA. I got
    to watch other people do it.

    Me

    why?, Feb 13, 2006