    We were an IBM shop, and we had IBM's gawdawful "DisplayWrite" DOS word
    processor. Hardly anyone wound up using it, preferring to do word processing
    with Lotus 123, because it could do more graphically than DicksplayWrite.

    Spuds, Feb 11, 2006

  2. b.saa

    why? Guest

    I am still looking for the raise, although it's easier to say how good I
    job I am doing. All that gets them is a unhappy employee.

    Out lot are going to have 'fun' , new system has servers for - remote
    management and security lockdown. The new security locks down so many
    settings, USB, Floppy, CD R & W.
    4 / 5 weeks ago some systems design people visited. Took notes of what I
    needed, didn't tell people, sent someone else after another 2 weeks. I
    gave him the same list. Another week nothing ordered. Deadline for
    installation passes, only 2 primary servers running. Then add another
    server, oh but someone else says if that's done then a 4th must be done
    as well.

    After the 4 / 5 week, still no switch, fiber (for the backbone
    connection) , router blades.

    Manager asks me to work this weekend, I said 'No' 5 times (1 word 2
    letters) , 2 servers on temp connections, none of the kit has arrived,
    plans also just changed. I say I can't do any more work until kit is
    here / downtime is arranged to untagle 8 power cables before putting 6
    bits of kit in a rack.

    Manager, says the parts haven't arrived, he knows this and says to put
    it in the past. It's not here what can be done without it, my reply was
    simple but not the appropriate / expected response , "nothing that's why
    I won't be in."

    I say I still won't be in this w/end, again. It's pointless as I won't
    do half a job as a temp fix then have to undo it and recable everything
    later.

    Another manager type, explains all of the above to the 1st guy, then he
    understands. I think the 1st guy was trying to force me to be in and
    just simply cave in. He isn't in my line of service, the manager that is
    said not to come in and he understood why.

    Me

    why?, Feb 11, 2006

  3. b.saa

    why? Guest

    It's was bad enough going to work getting a lift / bus. But now I have
    left earlier and started walking. Somehow that just doesn't seem right.

    Walking home, yes. It's the end of the day, getting out of the place but
    putting that effort into walking to work <shudder>.

    Me

    why?, Feb 11, 2006
  4. b.saa

    why? Guest

    You may not get that Mordac on the 1st hit, but maybe you could have
    Googled, it does get the hit on - mordac dilbert.

    Dilbert.com - The Characters
    Mordac, Mordac - He's the evil-hearted director of Information Services
    for Dilbert's company. He believes his mission is to make it as
    difficult as ...
    www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/the_characters/html/character4.html - 38k
    - Cached - Similar pages
    Not giving too much away, read and learn www.dilbert.com not forgetting
    http://ars.userfriendly.org/ as well.
    Me

    why?, Feb 11, 2006
  5. b.saa

    why? Guest

    Still used sometimes, I didn't mind the DOS printing issue, for the S/W
    we sold at the time we looked at the supported printers and what
    emulation printers supported. Then only sold 1 brand of laser and 2
    brands - 3 models of DM's. Made life easier.
    Olivetti PCs, WP, Sage, MS Office, MS Word 5.5 (loved that) , Lotus 123
    and Supercalc (loved that as well).
    Me

    why?, Feb 11, 2006
  6. b.saa

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In why? spewed forth:
    No doubt a possible factor precipitating depression...beware!

    Toolman Tim, Feb 11, 2006
  7. b.saa

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In why? spewed forth:
    I get that kind of BS too - one boss wants me to stay caught up, the other
    tells me not to put in any overtime. Sorry - can't do both...

    Toolman Tim, Feb 11, 2006
  8. b.saa

    Mara Guest

    I read somewhere, not long ago, that the average time an IT person spends in the
    job is 18 months. I certainly understand why, now. I have over two years worth
    of work to catch up, just me to do it, and am constantly interrupted, and
    actually have another job to do (Security Officer.) So, when the Powers That Be
    decided I was going to do all this, I told them no way, unless they made it
    worth my while. I set a personal deadline, and had they gone over it, I'd have
    resigned and gone and flipped burgers or something - they make more money than I
    was at the time, and there's a *lot* less stress.
    I'd like some of that. I'd like a backup server first, though.

    You should have heard the screams when I put the word out that there were to be
    no more music cds in the workstations. You've have thought the sky had fallen.

    I finally threw a Hosts file on the laptops to keep the night crew from going to
    places like eHarmony.com instead of working. That was all it took - they don't
    even know where to look for it. Of course they're screaming about that, too, but
    at least I don't have to go clean them up every day.

    Amazing how many clueless people think they know your job when they can't even
    find the power switch to their own systems, isn't it?

    "No wonder we burn out. It isn't the hardware, it's the humanware."

    Mara, Feb 11, 2006
  9. b.saa

    Mara Guest

    I know the feeling well. At first, the only good part of the day was when I left
    the building. It's a bit better now as far as that goes, but there's still far,
    far too much to be done for one person. Even though I make enough now to live
    very comfortably, I still don't make nearly enough for *this.*

    <sigh>

    Mara, Feb 11, 2006
  10. b.saa

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Mara spewed forth:
    Ain't THAT the truth!

    Toolman Tim, Feb 11, 2006
  11. b.saa

    Spuds Guest

    Ah yes, the days when Epson was God. Any printer worth its salt had to at
    least emulate an Epson FX-80. OMG the memories. I paid $400 for a Panasonic
    DM with "Near Letter Quality" printing, and I thought that was a steal. Geez,
    that's almost fodder for a new thread - the absurd prices we paid for hardware
    back in The Day.

    Spuds, Feb 12, 2006
  12. b.saa

    why? Guest

    That's what the last few weeks have been like, there is a project
    manager , technical design people. So what happens nothing from them and
    I get hassled for weeks doing a lot of thier work.

    Me

    why?, Feb 12, 2006
  13. b.saa

    why? Guest

    I am going to have to watch that, a few people have noticed already.
    Normally the hassles for a project, at least my bit (networking), don't
    last as long as this. This time it's getting to much, hence the weekend
    off.

    I do look forward to my neice and nephew visting at the weekends and
    helping with thier maths home work. It's surprising how much I haven't
    forgotten but never used for 20 years. It's a very good distraction,
    more so when they go home for another week :)

    Me

    why?, Feb 12, 2006
  14. b.saa

    why? Guest

    Wow, that's short. For the current company it's been 5 years, 5 before
    that on the same site. We were outsourced but still work on the same
    site.
    Maybe something I should thing about, after about 5 years I am starting
    to get a few friends in the place and they help look out for be dealing
    with people issues.

    That's the guy with an active wireless connection on a type of site it's
    serious big time major offence.

    It's been an ongoing argument over 4 months to leave the wireless
    adapter at home even then it's not allowed for what he is doing.

    On Friday one of the indicator LEDs was lit, I pointed to it, asked him
    to eject the card , so did a project manager type and this guy still
    left it plugged in.
    Yep, that is what does it all the time.

    Thanks a lot, getting to vent a bit of fustration in the thread.

    Me

    why?, Feb 12, 2006
  15. b.saa

    why? Guest

    Thanks a lot, getting a chance to unwind a bit with this thread :)

    Me

    why?, Feb 12, 2006
  16. b.saa

    why? Guest

    LOL.

    I had a Shinwa CP80 with the square pins, a revolution at the time :)
    1990, my 1st IBM type PC 486/33 mini tower , small RAM , small HD. Was
    £GBP 1200 or so list price, at least working for the dealer I got a
    whopping big discount (a customer bought 3) and easy monthly payment
    terms.

    Even the 286 / 386SX's for the customers were very expensive.

    That's when margins on hardware were flexible between manufacturer ,
    dealer and customer.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Feb 12, 2006
  17. b.saa

    Spuds Guest

    Geez, in 1990 I bought a 286/12 for just under $2000 Cdn. Couldn't afford the
    outrageous 386 prices. I remember the 40 Meg HD was $400 alone. I sprang
    extra to upgrade from 640k to 1 Meg of RAM and the new DOS 4.0.
    Yep, you could dicker and deal. Nowadays, margins are so tight in my neck of
    the woods, that prices are "cash discounted", and you're charged a premium if
    you're paying with a credit card.

    Spuds, Feb 12, 2006
  18. b.saa

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In why? spewed forth:
    Good thing to do - relaxing. During the spring, summer and fall, I spend a
    good bit of time in the yard/garden. That helps me relax and get over the
    shitty work week. But this time of year, all is mud and dead. Maybe I need
    to pick up some indoor hobby for the winter weekends <g>

    Toolman Tim, Feb 12, 2006
  19. b.saa

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In why? spewed forth:
    Yeah - after my blowup a couple weeks ago I feel the same way. In fact, if
    you'll read a bunch of my posts the last 2-3 weeks, you'll see a bit of
    stress showing through...

    Toolman Tim, Feb 12, 2006
  20. b.saa

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Spuds spewed forth:
    Yeah - I've ran into that too. Since the credit card companies are charging
    the store/seller to accept cards, if they discount the prices too much there
    isn't any profit left.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 12, 2006