    Or are we talking apples and oranges?

    Regards

    Buck

    Buck Rogers, Jan 5, 2007

  2. The 5505 is more flexible, but I believe it should be able to
    import a 501 configuration.

    If you are using the 501 for PPTP or PPPoE then you will need to
    cross-check that the 5505 software version you are using is new
    enough to support those.
    The 5505 doesn't have the anti-X features, if I recall correctly,
    and it doesn't have multiple contexts, so it is the most PIX 501-like
    of the 55xx range. For the most part you can use the PIX 7.x software
    manuals for the 5505.

    Walter Roberson, Jan 5, 2007

  3. Buck Rogers

    Buck Rogers Guest

    Walter,

    As usual, you come bearing the fruits of wisdom.......Thank You.

    You've given enough input to get me started. My next step is to
    purchase a 5505 and find out on my own. I'll need to get a handle on
    the 7.x software as my 501's are using 6.3(5).....never did understand
    why the 501's couldn't use 7.x software??

    I'm sure more serious questions will be forthcoming and I look forward
    to the newsgroup's input.

    Regards,

    Buck

    Buck Rogers, Jan 5, 2007
  4. Memory limitations. The 501 just doesn't have enough memory.
    There are people who have put 7.0 onto a 506 or 506E (not officially
    supported), and people who have put 7.x onto 515/515E that do
    not have the official minimum memory, but the 501 has so little
    memory that there is no realistic chance of getting it working.

    Walter Roberson, Jan 5, 2007