    prices vary from 14.99 to 39.99 for 512MB. Are they just better
    brands? Do memory cards have a life-span?
    Do they go bad in time? How do you know ?

    floodedriver, Nov 27, 2006

  2. floodedriver

    JohnR66 Guest

    I've seen name brand and no name brand cards on sale and offered at very low
    prices. The lowest prices are often tied to a rebate. The cards have
    different speeds with highest speed costing more. Higher speeds don't always
    mean faster writing times with a particular camera as the card may be much
    faster than the camera can write data to it. For me, I don't often shoot
    sequences of fast action so I go for the cheaper card. Many dSLRs can buffer
    many frames worth of shots anyway.
    John

    JohnR66, Nov 27, 2006

  3. floodedriver

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Yes, there is a great variation. I have seen 1GB SD cards for as low as
    $9.99, and as high as $124. The difference is in the speed, the brand,
    and how greedy the seller is. Except for speed, there isn't a great
    difference in the cards, just the price.
    There are brands that are considered more reliable (although objective
    data is scarce), such as Sandisk, Lexar, etc.
    As for their life-span... Probably much longer than the device they are
    bought for use in.
    Do they go bad, sure, doesn't everything? Flash cards have a
    theoretical limit to the number of times data can read or written to a
    certain memory cell. The number is sufficiently high that it is
    unlikely you would ever approach it.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 27, 2006
  4. wrote:
    : Why is there such a big difference in prices for the same size of
    : memory cards? ( I am talking about new store bought). I have seen the
    : prices vary from 14.99 to 39.99 for 512MB. Are they just better
    : brands? Do memory cards have a life-span?
    : Do they go bad in time? How do you know ?

    First some brands are more expensive due to better quality control. If a
    manufacturer disposes of 50% of their output due to not being up to
    standards the price will be higher than a company with the exact same
    manufacturing processes that only reject 10%. But the higher standards
    mean that the reliability is likely to be better for the more expensive
    brand. Second there are many "speeds" of memory card. The faster the card
    the quicker that it can accept data. But there is also a maximum speed
    that your camera can write the data so any card with a faster speed than
    the camera can write won't help. But if you use a card reader to transfer
    the images to your computer it may have a faster read speed than your
    camera and thus you could take advantage of a faster card. The slowest
    item in the chain will determine the ultimate read/write speed. Of course
    if you tend to take only single shots with delays between shots long
    enough that the camera has plenty of time to do the write, and you don't
    take so many photos that the transfer speed from the card (reader) to your
    computer isn't a major concern, then additional memory R/W speed may not
    be a big concern. And then lastly, like with almost everything else for
    sale, large name brands spend more on advertizing and the cost of that is
    shared by all the purchasers of those products. But small companies that
    sell fewer individual items will have to make more profit per item to
    cover their expenses, so the result on ultimate price could go either way.

    So you have to balance name brand vs reliability and read/write device vs
    read/write speed of the memory card. I personally find the prices of some
    major brands to be well within my budget and so tend to stick with those
    brands when possible. But each of us have our own desires and choice
    criteria and so what is right for me may not be what is right for you. :)

    Randy

    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Nov 27, 2006