Differences between VPN 3000-series concentrator models

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Heath Roberts, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. I'm trying to figure out what are the differences between a Cisco VPN
    3030 and a 3060... I've searched cisco.com, googled, and asked Cisco,
    but haven't got a satisfactory answer.

    This most relevatn topic I found was
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...43f614b0de?tvc=1&q=vpn+3060+3080&scrollSave=&
    which seems to indicate that I'm not the only one who's having
    difficulty with this.

    So here are my questions:

    It seems that the hardware difference between the 3030 and 3060 is that
    the 3060 has more SEP cards. (2 active instead of one).

    If I put four SEP cards into a 3030, will it use them all? How's the
    decision made on which cards to use and which to keep as inactive
    standby?

    With four SEP cards, is the 3030 still going to have a 'hard' (O/S
    imposed) limit of 1500 concurrent connections? (I think it is, but
    wanted to know if anyone has tried this)

    If I have a 3030 with redundant power supplies and two (redundant) SEP
    cards, what do I need to add to make it a redundant 3060? How many SEPs
    are active and how many are standby?

    There used to be a CVPN3060-UPG-R/R kit (only current mention appears
    to be at
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2284/prod_eol_notice09186a00801c599d.html)
    to make the upgrade that I want, and the repalcement appears to be the
    CVPN3000-UKITB-K9=, which includes two SEPs, a power supply, and 512MB
    of memory,

    If I buy that, aren't I going to have a power supply left over? Is
    there some cheaper way to buy the upgrade hardware that doesn't leave
    leftovers?

    How do I get a higher concurrent session limit--is there a different
    software key (the CVPN3K-UPGSW-K9= VPN 3000 Concentrator Software
    Upgrade CD)to enable that?

    How does the 3080 use its four SEPs? All four active? Or three active
    and one standby?

    Thanks,
    Heath

    Heath Roberts, Feb 3, 2005

  2. Heath Roberts

    BradReeseCom Guest

    CVPN3030-NR has 1500 simultaneous users

    Has 1 active SEP Module in slot 1.

    CVPN3060-NR has 5000

    Has 2 active SEP Modules in slots 1 & 2.

    Yes, if you use Memory Kit CVPN30xx-mem-kit-k9.

    How's the
    They are all active and Slot 3 is the Redundant Slot

    No, if it has 4 SEP Cards it is no longer a 3030 and becomes a 3060
    Redundant or a 3080 if you use the Memory Kit.
    2 SEP Modules

    How many SEPs
    If one of them fails Slot 3 takes over but they all load balance each
    other.
    Not only will you have a power supply left over you will have
    mismatching SEP Modules.

    We can sell you the CVPN3060-UPG-R/R without Power Supply.

    Is
    Yes, we can sell you the CVPN3060-UPG-R/R without Power Supply.
    SEP Modules change the limit as mentioned earlier.
    3 active and 1 standby.
    Heath,

    Reggie Grant has the CVPN3060-UPG-R/R without Power Supply in stock as
    I type.

    Reggie Grant
    Email:
    BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Worldwide