Differences between Linux/Windows Mozilla preference files?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Hallvard Tangeraas, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. What differences are there between the Windows Mozilla and Linux Mozilla
    preference files?

    The reason I ask is because I have a dual-boot PC, running Windows ME
    and Mandrake Linux 10.0, and since I use Mozilla 1.7.2 on both platforms
    I decided I wanted to try to make it possible to access the same
    bookmarks, news and mail messages etc. regardless what operating system
    I use. Sure beats having one bookmark file for each!

    Anyway, things work pretty well, and I'm ready to move on to the next
    step which is share a profile between different Linux login setups.

    All of this needs a posting all on its own, but I can say that I set
    everything up like I wanted it in the Windows version of Mozilla
    (email/news accounts, other choices etc), then copied the "prefs.js"
    file over to the Linux version of Mozilla, replacing the one there,
    making all my email/news accounts and everything else available just the
    same as in Windows.

    I did notice some differences though, like when in the mail/news part of
    Mozilla.... on the left hand side where all the email/news accounts are
    shown, the bar across on top now has "Unread", "Total" and "Size", which
    wasn't present before and is a nuisence as it takes up a lot of
    horizontal space.
    I'd like to remove this, and also "fix" other cosmetic details if
    possible, so is there a list somewhere over what this file contains, and
    a note of what is "windows only" and "linux only"?

    Hallvard

    Hallvard Tangeraas, Sep 24, 2004

  2. On that side of the pane, you will see sortof a bent arrow. Click on
    that. There's also an arrow on the other pane -- with subject, sender,
    etc. When you click on those arrows, you are given other choices.
    Uncheck and check what you want.

    Andreas

    Panjandrum -- http://www.bartleby.com/61/47/P0044700.html

    To contact me remove the NOSPAM

    Andreas, The Grande Panjandrum, Sep 24, 2004

  3. Excellent! And likewise in the message list (on the right hand of the
    screen), so I've cleaned up things now.
    Thanks!! :)

    Another question: the mailboxes are all shown in *bold* text. I don't
    know if Mozilla supports this, but it would be great if it did. In my
    mail program ("Kmail" in Mandrake Linux), any new message is shown in
    *bold*, so they're very easy to see. Can I do this in Mozilla?

    A final question (this time, hehe..) :
    I find it irritating that newsgroup names are made really short, So
    short in fact it's sometimes hard to distinguish the groups from each
    other. For example "n.p.m.general" is actually
    "netscape.public.mozilla.general", and . Irritating.

    .... and I'm always open for other tricks and tips.

    Hallvard

    Hallvard Tangeraas, Sep 25, 2004
  4. For Mail: Open the mail boxes up, so you will see Draft, Sent, Inbox,
    etc. Now, when you get a new message, you will see the Inbox in bold.

    As for newsgroups, there are 3 things you can do. Add the following
    line to your user.js file:

    user_pref("mail.server.default.abbreviate", false)

    Or go into the prefs.js file and locate that entry and change the "true"
    to "false".

    Or, open the browser, and enter about:config into the address bar, then
    in the filter bar enter "abbreviate" without the quotes, the look for
    the entry above, and double click on it and change it to false

    Andreas, The Grande Panjandrum, Sep 25, 2004
  5. Yes, but only when the mailbox threads are open (which makes for a long
    list if you have several
    email accounts and subscribed newsgroups).

    It would be nice to easily see new messages as bold account names, if
    Mozilla has any support for this.

    Excellent! I've used the "about:config" option a bit when working on my
    shared Windows/Linux Mozilla setup. Beats having to mess around with a
    text editor.
    Looks a whole lot better now, with the newsgroup names expanding as I
    make room for the full names, but in order to not take up that much room
    horizontaly, is there any way to change the font-size? I could try with
    a smaller font, and at least save a little space.

    Is there a complete list and explanation of all the lines in "prefs.js"
    so I can figure out what can be changed, and to what?

    Hallvard

    Hallvard Tangeraas, Sep 27, 2004