Differences Between Items In "Start Menu" And "Startup Folders" ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Jan 12, 2007.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Running XP

    In C\Documents and Settings\Bob\ there is a Start Menu.

    In this Start Menu there is a Startup Folder in \Programs.

    Confused over what the difference is between the items in the Startup
    Folder, and the Start Menu items ?

    I guess the Startup menu items actually start running upon starting up the
    PC.
    Right ?

    But do any of the Start Menu items also start when the PC loads ?

    If anyone could explain this terminology a bit, would be appreciative.

    Also: there are 2 users on my PC.
    Does the other user possibly have "startup" items that start when the PC is
    first turned on that
    may not appear in my listings as described above ?

    Thanks,
    B.

    Robert11, Jan 12, 2007

  2. Robert11

    JOG Guest

    Hi B.

    2 Settings times 2

    1 - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
    2 - C:\Documents and Settings\Bob

    In these 2 folders:

    the Start Menu\Programs path

    Start Menu is what you find directly above the Start button
    Programs is where you Program folders and application icons are stored. The
    entries here are static, that is until you click them, Starting your PC does
    not affect these entries.

    Then there is the Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder which may or may not
    contains shortcuts (or applications although not very logical).
    These shortcuts will be started that is the applications they point to will
    be launched when you log on (It may be that you do not have to log on
    becasue you choose to have your account to log on automatically).

    The difference between the entries in these folders is simply that what is
    in

    1 - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup -> will
    affect all users
    &
    2 - C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\Start Menu\Programs\Startup -> will only
    ever start when Bob (you I assume) logs on

    Hope that helps.

    Kind regards

    Joseph
    IT Analyst
    London - UK
    http://uk.geocities.com/josephoget/a2z/ilo/

    JOG, Jan 12, 2007

  3. Robert11

    Evan Platt Guest

    Start Menu is items that appear off your Start button. Startup items
    start when you turn on your computer.
    Possibly. A item would need to be set to do so in the registry.
    Yes. There's tons of ways a item could be set to run when the computer
    is booted.

    Is there a problem or issue you are experiencing?

    Evan Platt, Jan 12, 2007