    AdminKen Guest

    Can some one explain the difference between a "repeater" (AP in repeater
    mode) and a "range extender"?

    AdminKen, Apr 1, 2005

  2. AdminKen

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    The Extenders are unites that usually do Repeating only.

    When an Access point is set to be a Repeater it is basically similar to an
    Extender.

    Most Access Points are more elaborate units that can be configured in 3-5
    modes which one of them might be a Repeater.

    More here: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Apr 1, 2005

  3. AdminKen

    AdminKen Guest

    Thanks but I was looking for a bit more technical differentiation.

    Ken

    AdminKen, Apr 5, 2005
  4. AdminKen

    Stuckeymax

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Atlanta
    Repeater = Range Extender

    The difference between a WiFi repeater and a WiFi range extender is that there is no difference. These are different names for the same device. It picks up a packets bearing the SSID/encryption code for which it is set, stores it in RAM, then retransmits it. Because they have excellent radios and good antennas, they can pick up the original signal better than your laptop can. So if your repeater is some distance from your router/access point, but near to your laptop, your laptop will get a great signal. If your Internet connection to your ISP is 5Mbits/sec or less, you can use a wireless-G repeater with little impact on throughput. If youre Internet connection to your ISP is 12-15 Mbits/sec or higher, you will need a wireless-N router and a wireless N repeater(s) so that your wireless can keep up with your ISP.

    WiFi Repeaters work quite well, but can be difficult to set up. We are working to change that.

    Stuckey

    Stuckeymax, Dec 27, 2010
  5. AdminKen

    eks2212

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    How to Make a Large Wifi Zone?

    want co make Wifi zone in our office, which is a O shaped 3 storage old building. Length 500 meter and wide 400 meter.
    Can I Make it wifi zone using a single access point?

    I have a PLANET 15dbi Omin Antenna and a WAP-8000 device.

    Please any one help me and answer me!

    eks2212, Feb 11, 2011