    want to daisy chain the two switches (only 1 VLAN) which option is
    recommended.The switches I am using are the cisco catalyst 3458.

    Cheers

    unknown, May 24, 2006

  2. On 24.05.2006 08:22 unknown wrote

    > I want to know the difference between trunking and Etherchannel?If I
    > want to daisy chain the two switches (only 1 VLAN) which option is
    > recommended.The switches I am using are the cisco catalyst 3458.

    In Cisco speech

    trunking == having multiple vlans on one port

    channeling == having multiple physical ports form a logical one

    Be careful when dealing with other vendors. What's Cisco-channeling is
    $vendor-trunking.

    To answer your question: depends on. If one port gives enough bandwidth
    for connecting both switches then you don't need need neither trunking
    nor channeling. If you need multiple ports you will have to channel.

    --
    Arnold Nipper, AN45

    Arnold Nipper, May 24, 2006

  3. unknown

    unknown Guest

    Re: Difference between Trunking and Ether Channel?

    That was quick......Since its going to be a single VLAN,I guess
    channelling is the way to go.So if I am to channel 4 ports between two
    switches,realistically I should get abt 400Mbps. am I correct?

    unknown, May 24, 2006
  4. Re: Difference between Trunking and Ether Channel?

    On 24.05.2006 09:50 unknown wrote

    > That was quick......Since its going to be a single VLAN,I guess
    > channelling is the way to go.So if I am to channel 4 ports between two
    > switches,realistically I should get abt 400Mbps. am I correct?

    Yes, if you channel 4 FastEthernet ports you should be able to get
    400Mbps. For GigabitEthernet I would expect more ;-) Please also note
    that you may not gain any mor ebandwidth if you channel 5 - 7 ports.
    This is likely to only increase the reliability of your channel due to
    the algorithm the switches are using to distribute the load across the
    single links. Afaik the algo is as follows

    #ports load per port
    ---------------------------
    2 4 4
    3 3 3 2
    4 2 2 2 2
    5 2 2 2 1 1
    6 2 2 1 1 1 1
    7 2 1 1 1 1 1 1
    8 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

    --
    Arnold Nipper, AN45

    Arnold Nipper, May 24, 2006
  5. unknown

    unknown Guest

    Re: Difference between Trunking and Ether Channel?

    Arnold,
    Wish I had a gigabit switch,would have made things better.Am afraid my
    switch is pretty old one, just 100Mbps.So which one would you adv 2 3
    or 4?

    Cheers

    unknown, May 24, 2006
  6. unknown

    unknown wrote:
    > I want to know the difference between trunking and Etherchannel?If I
    > want to daisy chain the two switches (only 1 VLAN) which option is
    > recommended.The switches I am using are the cisco catalyst 3458.
    >
    > Cheers

    Unknown,

    With an Etherchannel config you are placing serveral ports on the
    switch in a group.
    For your solution a trunk is the best option. Only one port is needed
    for your solution.

    , May 24, 2006
  7. unknown

    unknown Guest

    Re: Difference between Trunking and Ether Channel?

    But I am afraid that this 1 port will become the bottle neck.My
    application are network intensive,they write to nfs regurarly.

    unknown, May 25, 2006