    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_a80.asp

    From my investigations I have come up with the following two cameras that
    look interesting:

    Canon EOS 350D
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos350d.asp

    Fujifilm FinePix S9000 Z
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Fujifilm/fuji_finepixs9000z.asp

    I don't really know what the difference is between them though.
    If I was only interested in the brand name I would stick with Canon, but
    the Fuji uses Compact Flash, AA NimH batteries and has a 10X zoom that
    would be very useful.

    Tim Chmielewski, Nov 18, 2005

  2. Tim Chmielewski

    Dave Cohen Guest

    <snipped>
    As far as I could tell from a quick look at the site, one is a true slr, the
    other has a zoom lens without stabaization. If money isn't a factor I would
    spring for the canon, see what others think.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Nov 18, 2005

  3. The Canon is selling for $1500AUD and the Fuji retails around $800AUD.

    I don't have the money to purchase one straight up so I will have to pay by
    instalments over 6 months to a year (I think some department stores have a
    48 months interest free deal.)

    Tim Chmielewski, Nov 18, 2005
  4. Tim Chmielewski

    Dave Cohen Guest

    OK, the price difference is certainly a factor. Confirm is my statement
    about stabalization is correct. If it is, give serious consideration to the
    competitive large zoom models that are stabalized.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Nov 18, 2005
  5. Tim Chmielewski

    none Guest

    That is a weird choice -- the Canon is an SLR while the Fuji is a P/S
    superzoom. It's kind of like saying that you're going to buy either an
    apple laptop or a cray supercomputer.

    What are the main features/improvements that you are hoping to get from
    the new camera? Why did you pick these two cameras in particular?

    -Mike

    none, Nov 18, 2005
  6. Tim Chmielewski

    Eatmorepies Guest

    They're not quite chalk and cheese because they are both cameras. However
    the Canon 350D SLR (I have one of these) is a giant leap ahead of your A80
    (I have one of these as well).

    Don't fret about the battery of the Canon 350D. I get several hundred shots
    to a charge.

    Please define what you want to do in photography and you may get more help.
    Incidentally - I hardly use the point and shoot cameras now I have the SLR.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Nov 18, 2005
  7. I would also buy a spare battery to carry with me as I do now.
    I have had my A80 for almost two years now and have been using it to
    take photos of live music around inner Melbourne
    http://photos.timchuma.com/

    Since the start of this year I have been trying to use the manual
    controls more often, but I still have to take a lot of photos to get a
    few I can use.

    Owing to the nature of the venues I am photographing in, I will not be
    using a tripod and I don't like to use the flash that often if it can be
    helped.

    Many of the venues I photograph in have coloured gels on the lights
    which effects what I can take in the first place (my favourite photos
    for this year were this set -
    http://photos.timchuma.com/TownBikesCookOff/index.html where they only
    had one big spot light.)

    From time to time I also get to photograph dance performances and other
    events so hopefully the camera would be easy enough to carry around as I
    take my current A80 everywhere.

    Once I buy the new camera, the A80 will be going to my parents as they
    have taken it on holidays with them and were very happy with it.

    Thanks.

    Tim Chmielewski, Nov 21, 2005
  8. Tim Chmielewski

    none Guest

    If you can get close to the performers and dancers then maybe the 400mm
    superzoom lens is not so desirable. And an SLR will certainly do a
    lot better in low light than any P/S camera.

    It sounds to me like the Rebel with a good midrange zoom and maybe a
    wideish portrait lens might be ideal. Don't make the mistake I did
    and buy crappy lenses. If it is a choice between the Rebel with a POS lens
    and a superzoom (The Canon S2, Panasonic FZ5, and Sony DSC-H1 all seem to
    be good ones), I would get the superzoom and maybe save up to buy the SLR
    later.

    -Mike

    none, Nov 22, 2005
  9. I had particular problems with this shoot:
    http://photos.timchuma.com/BurlesqueBattleRoyale/index.html

    (The performers seem to like the photos though, yes, even the one where
    their breasts are showing.)

    Tim Chmielewski, Nov 22, 2005