    suitable for both.

    What is the difference between the two types and has anyone got a known
    reliable source for a small number of the correct type please?

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 5, 2014

  2. Harry Bloomfield

    Andy Burns Guest

    Last time I had to buy some of both types, it seemed to be the stranded
    ones that were difficult to come by, according to this page

    https://www.brucetambling.com/wiki/Studio1100:Cat_5

    there are three types, all of which are suitable for stranded, some for
    both, and there aren't any that are for solid only ...

    Andy Burns, Mar 5, 2014

  3. Harry Bloomfield

    cl Guest

    I found it very difficult to differentiate the two types, in fact I
    still can't differentiate the ones I have 'in stock'.

    cl, Mar 5, 2014
  4. Harry Bloomfield

    Andy Burns Guest

    Yes, I've probably got some dregs of both types kicking around
    somewhere, but I doubt I marked the bags with "stranded" and "solid" :-(

    Andy Burns, Mar 5, 2014
  5. The ones for stranded cable have a spike that punctures the insulation
    and contacts the core of each wire, the ones for solid have two fingers
    that bite into the insulation and part of the core in a way similar to
    the Krone punch-down IDC (insulation displacement) connectors used in
    telecoms.

    It can be *very* difficult to tell which type you have, as you can't see
    the business end of the pins within the connector body.

    Mike Tomlinson, Mar 5, 2014
  6. Harry Bloomfield

    Woody Guest

    Er, yes you can. Just look at the side of the plug and you
    can see what sort of pin is fitted.

    Woody, Mar 5, 2014
  7. It happens that Mike Tomlinson formulated :
    Thanks, I just need to find an honest seller now who knows what he is
    selling.

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 5, 2014
  8. Harry Bloomfield has brought this to us :
    I don't beleeeive it!

    I found a US Ebay seller who three times in there ad said their plugs
    were for solid cable, promptly ordered them, followed the order up with
    a request for an assurance that the were definately for solid rather
    than stranded - was assured they were.

    I then waited until today for delivery and they are the stranded type
    of which I already have several hundred. I have opened an Ebay dispute
    - wrongly described.

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 25, 2014
  9. Harry Bloomfield

    Graham. Guest

    I once had to attend a training session at work and amongst other
    things we were "taught" how to terminate UTP.

    Now there is no easy way to tell someone more senior in the company
    than yourself that they haven't a clue, and they are trying to crimp
    RJ45s intended for stranded onto solid core cable, and even if it
    works, it will be unreliable because the axial "blades" would probably
    fracture the conductors and, if you were lucky you would be left with
    a point contact of the end of the wires touching the "blades".

    No easy way, but I tried.

    Graham., Mar 26, 2014
  10. Graham. laid this down on his screen :
    Exactly what I have found! My own struggles seem to suggest a less than
    20% chance of succeeding to make a cable which passes even the initial.

    I am completely amased by the number in the industry who simply are not
    aware of the difference oor that there are two specific types.

    I only need a dozen of these correct plugs, for solid. Can anyone
    supply me with them oon this ng and put me out of my misery please?

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 26, 2014
  11. Harry Bloomfield

    Rodney Pont Guest

    Rodney Pont, Mar 26, 2014
  12. Harry Bloomfield, Mar 26, 2014
  13. Harry Bloomfield

    Rodney Pont Guest

    Cat 5 ones I've bought from them in the past were for solid as claimed.

    Rodney Pont, Mar 26, 2014
  14. Rodney Pont was thinking very hard :
    Right, thanks - on the basis that if they are wrong they will have no
    choice but to refund, I have ordered a couple of packs.

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 26, 2014
  15. Harry Bloomfield brought next idea :
    They turnedd up yesterday - they are awfully complex until you get the
    hand of them andd no instruction supplid to fit them. A figure of 8
    part, wwhich goes on the tail first. 4x LH wires through one side, 4x
    RH wires through the other. Then an 8x way bit of plastic with the 8
    holes alternated up and down. That part pushes into the main body,
    right to the end, under the crimp pins. The 8 way part, makes it easy
    to make sure you have the wires in the correct order.

    Then you push both parts onto the cable as far as it will go, giving
    each wire a tug, to pull it straight. Once its all tight, snip the 8
    wires back, to the end of the 8 way plastic block, insert into the main
    body, into crimpper and crimp.

    The first one took me a good hour to fathom out, the final ones I had
    it down to a few minutes. Not as quick or easy as standard crimps, but
    the end result is a bit more certain that you have the colour code in
    the correct order....

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 29, 2014
  16. Harry Bloomfield

    digbert Guest

    Maplin used to have some handy guides on their site including one for
    those RJ 45 connectors. They seem to have vanished in a site
    reorganisation.

    There is a copy here, a bit late for you but maybe handy for someone
    else. http://www.scribd.com/doc/89503297/Cat-6-RJ45-Assembly

    digbert, Mar 29, 2014
  17. digbert has brought this to us :
    Thanks - in that case I put the figure of 8 plistic pieces on wrong.

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 30, 2014