    same thing as Remote Desktop or is there another one I need to add for
    Remote Desktop for Admin?

    Dave Marden

    Dave Marden, Jan 22, 2004

  2. Dave Marden

    rtfm Guest

    Its all there, read it.

    rtfm, Jan 22, 2004

  3. Dave Marden

    James Martin Guest

    Hey Dave,

    Remote Desktop, while appearing the same as Remote Desktop for
    Administration (RDFA) is not exactly the same. Remote desktop allows only 1
    connection, and is used mainly connecting to a client system. RDFA is more
    like a terminal services connection, and allows up to 2 concurrent
    connections without installing the terminal server (2003 only, 2000 required
    it) and without needing any additional licenses. From a client's
    perspective, you'd connect the same way for both. Remote Desktop doesn't
    allow a user to be concurrently logged on to the system locally, RDFA does.
    RDFA is integrated into 2003, so it's easy to see where the confusion would
    come from. I haven't messed around enough to see if there's even a way to
    RD into 2003 in a non-RDFA way (boots local user off, and has other
    restrictions), because there'd never be a compelling reason to do so.

    Hope that helps.

    James Martin, Jan 22, 2004
  4. Dave Marden

    Guest Guest

    There is remote server administration and remote user
    support control.
    One is used to take control of a workstation and the
    other is used to administrate a server from your desktop.
    The two are installed separately

    Guest, Jan 22, 2004
  5. Dave Marden

    Dave Marden Guest

    Thanks Guys, greatly appreciated.

    Dave Marden

    Dave Marden, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Dave Marden

    Dave Marden Guest

    The book says that in order to proceed you must have Remote Desktop For
    Administrators(RDFA) already installed before reading any further first of
    all, and second of all, I have read ahead against what the book says to do.
    After reading ahead, I see where it refers to each. I see references to
    Remote Desktop, RDFA, and Remote Assistance. I went ahead and looked this
    up in the help files in Windows 2003 Premium, and find references to all 3.
    Under RDFA in the help files it says that in order to use RDFA you need to
    enable RDFA, the problem is I know how to enable RD, and Remote Assistance
    but if RDFA is in fact another monster, which it appears to be, I don't know
    how to enable it, and it doesn't say how to do it, just that you have to.

    Okay, now you know I have done my homework, Could you now tell me what is up
    with this.

    ;-)~

    Greatly appreciated,
    Dave Marden

    Dave Marden, Jan 22, 2004
  7. Dave Marden

    Dave Marden Guest

    How do I install Remote Desktop for Administrators?

    Dave Marden

    Dave Marden, Jan 24, 2004
  8. Remote desktop is used to connect to your XP computer--there's only 1
    connection allowed to the XP OS. Remote desktop for administration referring
    to connecting remotely to a server. 2 connections are allowed plus a
    connection to console on a windows server 2003. From your command, type,
    mstsc /? for the different switches to use.

    --
    Tom Helms [MSFT]

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights."Please
    do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup
    purposes only."

    Tom Helms [MSFT], Jan 24, 2004
  9. You can access the console session on XP pro as well--you just cannot have
    concurrent users without some registry editing. Even then, the reg hack
    requires XP SP2.

    Associate Expert
    Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
    http://pelos.us/SERVER.htm

    Larry Samuels, Jan 24, 2004
  10. That's correct, Larry. In fact, that's the only type of connection in XP
    pro.

    --
    Tom Helms [MSFT]

    newsgroup purposes only."

    Tom Helms [MSFT], Jan 24, 2004
  11. Duh--I am so used to logging onto the console session on Server 2003 that I
    use the console switch on XP without thinking about it.
    I never even thought to check if a standard RD session would allow me to use
    my running apps on XP pro.

    Larry Samuels, Jan 24, 2004
  12. I login via VPN from home to my desktop using remote desktop--makes your
    desktop somewhat 'portable' especially if you start a script before you
    leave the office and need to check the status from home.

    --
    Tom Helms [MSFT]

    newsgroup purposes only."

    Tom Helms [MSFT], Jan 24, 2004
  13. Dave Marden

    Dave Marden Guest

    It sounds to me like what you guys are referring to is Remote Desktop, not
    Remote Desktop for administration. From what I understand there is a
    difference. Unless this (tsmmc.msc /s) is what is referred to as Remote
    Desktop For Administration. I know that there is the tsmmc.msc /s type as
    well as the mstsc type. Which one of these is considered Remote Desktop for
    Admin. I don't think that tsmmc.msc /s is in Windows XP. To be honest you
    you I thought that tsmmc.msc /s was the same thing as mstsc but console
    based. Does one of these allow for multiple connections but the other
    doesn't?

    I am studying the Microsoft Press 70-290 and I just want to make sure I
    fully understand this subject for the MSCE test and because I want to
    actually learn and understand it.

    Thanks,
    Dave Marden

    Dave Marden, Jan 24, 2004
  14. You use tsmmc.msc so you can simply click the server name in the left
    pane--this is available when you install the administrative tools for
    windows server 2003 (KB309375). You can use mstsc to connect to only one
    server at a time. Check out page 2-12 in your training kit--it's explained
    there.

    --
    Tom Helms [MSFT]

    newsgroup purposes only."

    Tom Helms [MSFT], Jan 24, 2004
  15. Hi Dave,

    Remote Desktop in XP pro is simply a lite version of Remote Desktop for
    Administration in Server 2003 that does not allow concurrent connections.

    Remote Desktop for Administration overview
    Remote Desktop for Administration (formerly known as Terminal Services in
    Remote Administration mode) provides remote access to the desktop of
    computers running any Microsoft® Windows® Server 2003 family operating
    system, allowing you to administer your server from virtually any computer
    on your network. For detailed information about using Remote Desktop for
    Administration for remote server administration, see Using Remote Desktop
    for Administration for remote server administration.

    Important

    a.. Be aware of the security implications of remote logons. Users who log
    on remotely can perform tasks as though they were sitting at the console.
    For this reason, you should ensure that the server is behind a firewall. For
    more information, see VPN servers and firewall configuration and IPSec
    security considerations.
    b.. You should require all users who make remote connections to use strong
    passwords.
    To use Remote Desktop for Administration, you must enable remote connections
    at the server you plan to connect to. For more information, see To enable or
    disable remote connections.

    To connect to Remote Desktop for Administration from a remote computer, use
    Remote Desktop Connection. For more information, see Remote Desktop
    Connection.

    Notes

    a.. Remote Desktop for Administration is disabled by default in Windows
    Server 2003 family operating systems.
    b.. By default, the Remote Desktop Users group is not populated. You must
    decide which users and groups you want to have permission to log on
    remotely, and then manually add them to the group. For more information, see
    Add users to the Remote Desktop Users group.
    c.. Remote administration of servers with Remote Desktop for
    Administration is available on any computer running a Windows Server 2003
    family operating system. A simpler version of Remote Desktop is also
    available on Microsoft Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional. For information
    on installing and configuring Terminal Server, see Terminal Server.

    Larry Samuels, Jan 24, 2004
  16. Dave Marden

    Dave Marden Guest

    That page still doesn't tell me which is which, will (tsmmc.msc /s) take me
    to remote desktop for administration, or will (mstsc)? I will however say
    that using the mstsc seems to let me log on to my server with 2 instances
    where I think that the only way of hooking up to tsmmc.msc /s only allow 1
    connection and it is from 2003, not XP. I really just need to know which is
    which.

    Dave Marden

    Dave Marden, Jan 24, 2004
  17. Dave Marden

    Dave Marden Guest

    Never mind I got it, tsmmc is the one that is referred to as Remote Desktop
    for Administration.

    Thanks All,
    Dave Marden

    Dave Marden, Jan 24, 2004