Difference between Network EAP and Open auth with EAP on Cisco Wireless AP???

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by db999, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. db999

    db999 Guest

    I would like our network administrators to enable Open Authentication
    with EAP in addition to Network-EAP on our Cisco Access Point-based
    wireless network so that I can use a Centrino integrated wireless card.
    LEAP is used for authentication with our domain usernames and
    passwords.

    Are there any security risks associated with using "Open Authentication
    with EAP" over "Network-EAP"?

    A google search and search of the cisco web site did not answer this
    question. From my fairly rudimentary knowledge of these matters it
    seems like the only difference is the order in which certain
    association / authentication steps take place.

    Any clarification to this would be helpful. If someone could provide a
    link to a document with further info that would be great as well.

    Dennis Brenner

    db999, Mar 29, 2005

  2. db999

    b1-100

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Network EAP or Open Authentication with EAP

    Network eap or open auth with eap = both do open authentication.

    The difference is where in the association process does the access point go "by the way we really weren't finished with authentication. We must do eap auth before we go further."
    Cisco = nearly the begining of association process
    Non Cisco = later in association process
    This can also be observed using wireshark.

    Both equally secure

    Clients that are Cisco = Use Network-EAP.
    Third party clients including CCX compliant devices = Open with EAP.
    Combination of both Cisco and third party clients = Network-EAP and Open with EAP.

    b1-100, Aug 27, 2011