Difference Between Collision and Broadcast Domain.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by PyramidAsh, Sep 21, 2005.

  1. PyramidAsh

    PyramidAsh Guest

    Hello All,
    I have a little bit comfusion regarding collision domain and
    broadcast domain. Hope friends you will clarify my doubts.

    Query : - Switches Breaks up collision domain on each port ?

    My Queries: -

    Condition 1: -
    Suppose we have a 24 port switch and PCs are connected on each
    port. Then How much collision domain and broadcast domain the switch
    will have ?

    Condition 2: -
    Suppose we have a 12 port switch1 (root switch) and 12 switches
    connected on every single port of switch1 with PCs connected on every
    single daughter switch. Then can we say that there would be different
    collision domain on every port of switch1. Then what about broadcast
    domains?

    Condition 3: -
    Suppose we have a 12 port switch1 (root switch) and 6 switches
    connected on 6 ports of switch1 with PCs connected on every single
    daughter switch and PCs directly connected to Switch1. Then How many
    collision and broadcast domain will there be ?

    PyramidAsh, Sep 21, 2005

  2. : I have a little bit comfusion regarding collision domain and
    :broadcast domain. Hope friends you will clarify my doubts.

    :Query : - Switches Breaks up collision domain on each port ?

    Yes, unless perchance the switch has been configured to operate as
    a hub amongst those ports. [I don't think I've ever encountered
    a switch that allowed that!]

    :My Queries: -

    :Condition 2: -
    : Suppose we have a 12 port switch1 (root switch) and 12 switches
    :connected on every single port of switch1 with PCs connected on every
    :single daughter switch. Then can we say that there would be different
    :collision domain on every port of switch1. Then what about broadcast
    :domains?

    Urrr, your question phrasing is starting to look like homework
    assignments...

    What you need to know about broadcast domains is that:

    a) a switch can allow conversations between different collision
    domains that form part of the same broadcast domain

    b) a router can allow conversations between different broadcast
    domains

    c) VLANs in theory are a layer above broadcast domains, but in
    practice it is uncommon for them to be used at that level: they
    are usually used instead as a layer above collision domains.
    [Cisco's feature that allows VLANs to be above broadcast
    domains is "VRF", Virtual Router Facility.]

    Walter Roberson, Sep 21, 2005