    My OS is Windows XP Pro SP2 IE 6
    Thanks,
    yakis

    yakis, May 7, 2005

  2. Hi,
    Restart is to shut down OS system only, Used mainly to install new programs.

    Shutdown is to switch your computer off and also turn your computer on after
    set time, if you wish (done by the bios). Restart is just a quicker way of
    the latter.

    James

    Jurgen Klingemann, May 7, 2005

  3. yakis

    MrGrumpy Guest

    Do you actually mean 'reset btn' ?
    If so this forces an inproper shutdown/restart of you sys.
    You should'nt use it unless your sys has become unresponsive. It can cause
    problems/errors depending what hw/software your running eg Raid

    MrGrumpy, May 7, 2005
  4. yakis

    yakis Guest

    No, I don't mean reset buttom. I simply mean switching off the pc completely
    and then press the on/off button again after x minutes to switch it on
    again. What is the diff. then compare to restart?

    yakis, May 7, 2005
  5. yakis

    MrGrumpy Guest

    If you shutdown the pc, from the box, without shutting down win, it is the
    same as 'reset'
    ie it is an improper sys shutdown.

    MrGrumpy, May 7, 2005
  6. yakis

    Keme Guest

    When you do a "soft" restart (click the "restart" button in the shutdown
    dialog) the computer doesn't always reset all electronics, so you
    won't get the same as a fresh start. (i.e. you get a "warm boot")

    Some hardware hangups (like after faulty network packets, or installing
    a driver without observing the correct sequence of operations) are only
    resolved by a "cold boot", which you get from a full shutdown (or
    pushing the reset button, if it is properly wired on the motherboard and
    all add-in cards read the reset line).

    Keme, May 7, 2005
  7. yakis

    yakis Guest

    Thanks you all so much for contributing all the informations.

    yakis, May 7, 2005
  8. yakis

    Keme Guest

    [...]
    You're welcome

    Keme, May 8, 2005
  9. yakis

    Uncle Andy Guest

    John Doe, Loves spam sent to:
    You have met her too i see.

    Uncle Andy, May 8, 2005
  10. yakis

    Rebecca Guest

    You must mean this one in San Antonio who uses PPPOX POOL RBACK9 SNANTX to
    post his trolls?

    From: John Doe <>
    May 2005 07:05:31 EDT)

    Rebecca, May 9, 2005
  11. yakis

    magmike Guest

    There's a wide selection of girls in Benoa.

    That's better than a selection of wide girls.

    magmike, May 10, 2005
  12. yakis

    Uncle Andy Guest

    JAD, Loves spam sent to:
    Jealousy is a curse.

    Uncle Andy, May 10, 2005
  13. yakis

    dalgibbard Guest

    Shutting down the system (and pulling the plug out, and putting cable
    back in at least) clears power from the system completely (as such) and
    is usually used to clear the ram if youve got a problem n stuff- or in
    a more general sense, to switch your poota off.

    the reset function is there so that you havent gotta get off your
    arse/lean over to press the power button.

    dalgibbard, May 11, 2005
  14. yakis

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Not all POST code in the BIOS is run upon reset only.

    Rick Merrill, May 12, 2005
  15. yakis

    p.c. guy Guest

    So far, Keme is the most accurate answer. Powering off resets more
    things than the restart button on the front of the case does. Clicking
    restart in Windows resets many things, restart button does even more,
    power off does the most.

    On recent computers, the power supply is not 100% off when you use the
    power off button on the front of the case. Is is still supplying a
    very tiny amount of power. One reason this is necessary is that the
    power control on the motherboard runs at a low voltage, and not the
    115 volts that goes into the power supply.

    Because of that, it does reset more things to physically unplug the
    power line to the computer. However, I have never seen anything that
    benefited from doing that. Everything that I have ever seen is reset
    enough by the power switch on the front of the case.

    One minute of waiting is probably enough, after turning off the power.
    Personally, I wait until I hear the disk drives spin down. That takes
    about 20 seconds.

    p.c. guy, Jun 8, 2005
  16. yakis

    ximensions Guest