    standard, so as to shut out innovation and competitors. Clearly, this is
    contrary to the whole purpose of published standards.

    Peter

    peter, Oct 28, 2007

  2. peter

    Gordon Guest

    Did not MS have 78 cruise missiles explode right on this idea of theirs.

    MS was trying to make their standard acceptable, as in lets widen the def of
    the std. Then we will stuff out the other stuff.

    BTW, Ms only wants one $$$, locking one in will not always achieve this.

    Gordon, Oct 28, 2007

  3. peter

    Squiggle Guest

    Do you guys ever get bored with the MS bashing? Surely you can find
    something more rewarding to do with your lives?

    Squiggle, Oct 28, 2007
  4. peter

    peter Guest

    It is not about Microsoft. I'd argue the same against any company that used
    unlawful and unethical means to stifle innovation, shut out competition and
    rip off consumers.

    Peter

    peter, Oct 28, 2007
  5. No - so long as M$ keeps on demonstrably screwing over the public.

    Jonathan Walker, Oct 28, 2007
  6. peter

    Cima Guest

    Heh, that'd be a shitload of companies then.

    Cima, Oct 28, 2007
  7. peter

    peter Guest

    Such as?
    Not many others have been found guilty in court, of monopoly abuse on a
    scale to match Microsoft.

    peter, Oct 28, 2007
  8. peter

    peterwn Guest

    Oh! Are you an alias of Brett Roberts, Mickey Mouse, Impossible or
    Fred Dagg, then?

    peterwn, Oct 28, 2007
  9. peter

    Squiggle Guest

    Nope, i'm just me.

    Squiggle, Oct 28, 2007
  10. peter

    sam Guest

    Its way more expensive to be locked in by AutoCad or Digidesign Protools
    though.

    sam, Oct 28, 2007
  11. peter

    thingy Guest

    Oh lets see....just about any American company....I can name a few here,

    1) Apple
    2) Oracle
    3) Sun
    4) SCO
    5) EMC

    The first three I think "hate" MS only because MS has been more
    effective at ringing out every last $ from a customer than them....

    EMC might be the new greedy kid on the block but its got wallet rape
    down pat IMHO....

    MS is nothing special, IMHO, its just better at it....oh and US
    companies dont have the monopoly on being greedy....I have come across a
    few single traders/ nz companies with the same mind set....they just are
    not on the same scale...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 28, 2007
  12. peter

    geoff Guest

    Why do MS get shit for treating customers like slaves, whereas Apple just
    get groupies that are only equalled in religous fervour to Liniots, for
    doing far worse things (but in a pretty colour) ?

    geoff

    geoff, Oct 28, 2007
  13. Excellent question :)

    I suspect the answer is *how* you get screwed over.
    MS seem to decide how things will be and simply do that ... annoying large
    numbers of people.
    Apple seem to design things and launch them with lots of "WOW". Perhaps it's
    as simple as good marketing vs crappy marketing ? Seems to me that apple
    have lots of gadgets that many "can't do without" ... where MS don't. The
    apple groupies have decided yes, that IS what we want before they buy 'it'
    perhaps. :)

    I have to say that MS came close with their recent launch of the tabletop
    (literally) PC. I wanted one immediately ... then they said how much it was
    (thousands .. US). I suspect it's now a great idea, buried.
    How do they do it ? I can only ascribe it to mr. cock up.

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 29, 2007
  14. It was an interesting idea, but hardly made from cutting edge technology.

    Jonathan Walker, Oct 29, 2007
  15. peter

    peter Guest

    No, read the OP. The objection is to MS using unethical means to try and
    subvert proper consideration of international standards. They were caught
    using unethical & unlawful means (ie bribery) to push their substandard
    proposal through.
    Has Apple or Linux ever been caught doing this?

    Peter

    peter, Oct 29, 2007
  16. peter

    peter Guest

    Please cite.
    (That is, court findings of monopoly abuse on a scale to match Microsoft.)

    Peter

    peter, Oct 29, 2007
  17. peter

    Craig Shore Guest

    Excellent question :)

    I suspect the answer is *how* you get screwed over.
    MS seem to decide how things will be and simply do that ... annoying large
    numbers of people.
    Apple seem to design things and launch them with lots of "WOW". Perhaps it's
    as simple as good marketing vs crappy marketing ? Seems to me that apple
    have lots of gadgets that many "can't do without" ... where MS don't. The
    apple groupies have decided yes, that IS what we want before they buy 'it'
    perhaps. :)

    I have to say that MS came close with their recent launch of the tabletop
    (literally) PC. I wanted one immediately ... then they said how much it was
    (thousands .. US). I suspect it's now a great idea, buried.
    How do they do it ? I can only ascribe it to mr. cock up.[/QUOTE]

    While the Mac hardware is expensive, their new OS (Mac OS X Leopard) is actually
    quite reasonable in price. There's only one version (no seperation between home
    and business) in which you get the lot.
    There are two licences, the single machine one (NZ$199), or a family one
    (NZ$299) which covers up to 5 machines in a home.

    Vista Ultimate (full retail version) is $785 at Tastech, $998 at DSE.

    5x $998.00 = $4990.00 for Vista versus $299 for Leopard.

    or maybe we could compare Vista Home Premium
    5 x $598 = $2990.

    Craig Shore, Oct 31, 2007
  18. ... perhaps indicating more clearly that yes, it's down to differences in
    marketing and little else ?
    Marketing ? Starting to look like a distinct trend. :)

    Thanks for that.

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 1, 2007
  19. peter

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Does it work out of the box onto my Intel p4 2.4 with 1 gig of ram?

    No it looks for some bios string still?

    If they fix that, I think MacOS will take off.
    Ilike both Vista, (if you have hardware to throw at it) and Mac OS10.

    My big problem with Macs, that I see at least weekly, is the lack of point
    and print for drivers.

    You know, that share the printer and type in unc path and just print from
    you workstation to the new printer thing that windows seems to do so well.
    Why has Apple not fixed this in all their time of making an OS?

    Dave Taylor, Nov 1, 2007
  20. Worse than that, it's tied to a TPM chip.
    I doubt it. Not enough hardware support.
    You mean you actually have to _type_ in a printer name, as opposed to just
    pick it from a browser list?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 1, 2007