Did you know you can buy land on the moon?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Morris, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:10:07 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind boggled
    at the following statement by Blinky the Shark in message
    I remember those cereal thingies. As a matter of fact, I was living in Alaska
    at the time, in a little Eskimo village called Nunapitchuk, in the Lower
    Kuskokwim River area.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    No of SETI units returned: 2448
    (Total hours: 41384)
    www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu

    The Old Sourdough, Nov 28, 2003

  2. Morris

    Mitch Guest

    Of course not.
    You can't buy land on the Moon, and you have no rights to do anything
    there or restrict anyone else doing anything there.

    In the same vein, you cannot name a star. A service had been going
    around for years (at least through the 1980s -- they may be out of
    business now) telling people they could name a star with anything they
    wanted. It was true that the company assigned a specific star the name
    you gave it, and they printed it in a catalog -- but no one anywhere
    was going to use that as the star's name. Certainly astronomers would
    never even know.

    In both cases, you are paying for a novelty certificate and nothing
    more.

    Mitch, Nov 28, 2003

  3. Morris

    zaqona Guest

    Did you know you can buy land on the moon?

    Who wants to buy a very very old piece of Green Cheese, any way. LOL

    zaqona, Nov 28, 2003
  4. It was on Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:46:10 -0800, just as I was halfway through a
    Ok, five Quatloos! Or how 'bout a ton of fish food & large
    "No fishing in this lake "sign?

    William Poaster, Nov 28, 2003
  5. Morris

    TRADESMAN Guest

    Quite right. I got mixed up with Mars registry PLC. Would you be interested
    in a prime plot? Also selling off many stars very cheaply in a pre
    Christmas sale!

    TRADESMAN, Nov 29, 2003
  6. Morris

    Patrick Guest

    Can I buy the 'Cheese mineing rights' ?

    Patrick, Nov 29, 2003
  7. TRADESMAN Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    I can't afford a $300 part for the wife's car (Much less listen to
    her whine about it) and you want me to buy a plot on Mars?

    C'mere. Little closer. Just a little closer.

    <Smack!>

    Thanks. I feel better now. <G>

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Nov 29, 2003
  8. Hey, that's where my inch was! Were you short any inches...?

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 29, 2003
  9. What -- isn't *anybody* going to make a mons venus joke, here? Sheesh.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 29, 2003
  10. It was on Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:05:00 -0500, just as I was halfway through a
    LOL!

    William Poaster, Nov 29, 2003
  11. It was on Sat, 29 Nov 2003 03:25:47 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    Well I thought about it, but then decided it was too obvious!

    But we can tell where your mind's at "monsewer"! ;-)

    William Poaster, Nov 29, 2003
  12. Morris

    Plato Guest

    Problem is, it's not enforceable unless some govt. is willing to use
    weapons to enforce any property rights granted to you in exchange for
    paying rent to that govt.. Govts with weapons control all property. Try
    not paying your rent [taxes] to your govt. and see who shows up to show
    you who really owns the land you "thought" you really owned.

    Plato, Nov 30, 2003
  13. Morris

    Plato Guest

    The Earth is NOT owned by anyone either. Portions of it can only be
    controlled by weapons and the threat of force and death. As it's always
    been. And always will be in the near future.

    The Human population is quite primative.

    Plato, Nov 30, 2003
  14. Morris

    M Mullen Guest

    |> gangle wrote:
    |> >
    |> > The Moon is not "owned" by anyone. So, it it impossible to buy
    |> > a part of the Moon, as there is no one to buy it from.
    |>
    |> The Earth is NOT owned by anyone either.

    Don't pay your rent or home loan, and see who owns your little square.

    |>Portions of it can only be
    |> controlled by weapons and the threat of force and death.

    Ahh the armed stand off approach.

    M Mullen, Nov 30, 2003