Did the free photo uploading site (picturepush.com) suddenlyenforce registration?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Danny D., Jul 1, 2013.

  1. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    I've been posting screenshots for nntp posts to picturepush.com for
    about a year now, without having to register, using this URL:
    http://picturepush.com/upa

    Now, suddenly, as of today, that URL seems to require a registration.

    Is it just me (perhaps I went over some limit?) or for everyone?

    If it's for everyone, that's too bad. Now I need a new freeware
    screenshot image-sharing site which requires no registration.

    Googling, Flickr is often listed as the best, but, it's a royal
    pain to get a DIRECT link to the screenshot itself:
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7349/9187022392_9704a372d5_c.jpg

    On Flickr, I have to search for the image on Google, and then use
    that link to post back here.

    So, my question for freeware and photo buffs:

    Q: What do you use for posting screenshots to be included as
    links in nntp posts that is (a) free, and (b) requires no
    registration?

    Danny D., Jul 1, 2013

  2. Re: Did the free photo uploading site (picturepush.com) suddenly enforce registration?

    Danny D. submitted this idea :
    > I've been posting screenshots for nntp posts to picturepush.com for
    > about a year now, without having to register, using this URL:
    > http://picturepush.com/upa
    >
    > Now, suddenly, as of today, that URL seems to require a registration.
    >
    > Is it just me (perhaps I went over some limit?) or for everyone?
    >
    > If it's for everyone, that's too bad. Now I need a new freeware
    > screenshot image-sharing site which requires no registration.
    >
    > Googling, Flickr is often listed as the best, but, it's a royal
    > pain to get a DIRECT link to the screenshot itself:
    > http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7349/9187022392_9704a372d5_c.jpg
    >
    > On Flickr, I have to search for the image on Google, and then use
    > that link to post back here.
    >
    > So, my question for freeware and photo buffs:
    >
    > Q: What do you use for posting screenshots to be included as
    > links in nntp posts that is (a) free, and (b) requires no
    > registration?

    Tinypic. It has a CAPTCHA but that's it.

    FromTheRafters, Jul 1, 2013

  3. Danny D.

    nospam Guest

    Re: Did the free photo uploading site (picturepush.com) suddenly enforce registration?

    In article <>, Danny D.
    <> wrote:

    > Q: What do you use for posting screenshots to be included as
    > links in nntp posts that is (a) free, and (b) requires no
    > registration?

    many of them, including imgur and tinypic

    nospam, Jul 1, 2013
  4. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 15:44:42 -0400, FromTheRafters wrote:

    > Tinypic. It has a CAPTCHA but that's it.

    Thanks. Tinypic seems to work well.
    http://i41.tinypic.com/judao7.png

    Even the Captcha is pretty easy, as they don't obfuscate
    the letters (you simply have to type a short phrase).

    If it's not too bad on the advertisement side, for the
    viewer, then it's a keeper!

    Danny D., Jul 1, 2013
  5. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 15:52:25 -0400, nospam wrote:

    > many of them, including imgur and tinypic

    Testing imgur.com ...
    a. Press "Computer" & select screenshot & press "OK"
    b. Press "Start Upload"
    c. Click on the uploaded screenshot & grab the URL from the address bar

    http://i.imgur.com/syPIhI6.png

    Assessment:
    Imgur worked fine!
    Thanks.

    Danny D., Jul 1, 2013
  6. Re: Did the free photo uploading site (picturepush.com) suddenly enforce registration?

    Danny D. presented the following explanation :
    > On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 15:44:42 -0400, FromTheRafters wrote:
    >
    >> Tinypic. It has a CAPTCHA but that's it.

    > Thanks. Tinypic seems to work well.
    > http://i41.tinypic.com/judao7.png
    >
    > Even the Captcha is pretty easy, as they don't obfuscate
    > the letters (you simply have to type a short phrase).
    >
    > If it's not too bad on the advertisement side, for the
    > viewer, then it's a keeper!

    The one for layouts gives you the most direct link IIRC.

    FromTheRafters, Jul 1, 2013
  7. Danny D.

    Jon Danniken Guest

    On 07/01/2013 01:24 PM, Danny D. wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 15:52:25 -0400, nospam wrote:
    >
    >> many of them, including imgur and tinypic

    > Testing imgur.com ...
    > a. Press "Computer" & select screenshot & press "OK"
    > b. Press "Start Upload"
    > c. Click on the uploaded screenshot & grab the URL from the address bar
    >
    > http://i.imgur.com/syPIhI6.png
    >
    > Assessment:
    > Imgur worked fine!
    > Thanks.

    imgur is the one I use all the time, now that most of the other ones are
    riddled with ads and/or registration and/or captchas. imgur also makes
    it really easy to directly link to the file, without registration.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jul 1, 2013
  8. Danny D.

    Roori Guest

    On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 22:15:29 +0100, FromTheRafters wrote:

    > Danny D. presented the following explanation :
    >> On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 15:44:42 -0400, FromTheRafters wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tinypic. It has a CAPTCHA but that's it.

    >> Thanks. Tinypic seems to work well.
    >> http://i41.tinypic.com/judao7.png
    >>
    >> Even the Captcha is pretty easy, as they don't obfuscate
    >> the letters (you simply have to type a short phrase).
    >>
    >> If it's not too bad on the advertisement side, for the
    >> viewer, then it's a keeper!

    > The one for layouts gives you the most direct link IIRC.

    Does Tinypic remove the photo if no one accesses it for a set
    time?

    Roori, Jul 2, 2013
  9. Re: Did the free photo uploading site (picturepush.com) suddenly enforce registration?

    Roori formulated on Tuesday :
    > On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 22:15:29 +0100, FromTheRafters wrote:
    >
    >> Danny D. presented the following explanation :

    >>> Thanks. Tinypic seems to work well.
    >>> http://i41.tinypic.com/judao7.png
    >>>
    >>> Even the Captcha is pretty easy, as they don't obfuscate
    >>> the letters (you simply have to type a short phrase).
    >>>
    >>> If it's not too bad on the advertisement side, for the
    >>> viewer, then it's a keeper!

    >> The one for layouts gives you the most direct link IIRC.

    > Does Tinypic remove the photo if no one accesses it for a set
    > time?

    From their help/faq

    How long are images and videos kept?

    Images and videos is in your account will not be removed. Images and
    videos that are not associated with an account are kept until they have
    not been viewed for 90 days. After 90 days, they may be removed.

    FromTheRafters, Jul 2, 2013
  10. Danny D.

    VanguardLH Guest

    Danny D. wrote:

    > I've been posting screenshots for nntp posts to picturepush.com for
    > about a year now, without having to register, using this URL:
    > http://picturepush.com/upa
    >
    > Now, suddenly, as of today, that URL seems to require a registration.

    Read their FAQ at:
    http://picturepush.com/help#qa19
    Which points to their letter at:
    http://picturepush.com/gopro

    VanguardLH, Jul 2, 2013
  11. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 07:49:47 -0400, FromTheRafters wrote:

    > Images and
    > videos that are not associated with an account are kept until they have
    > not been viewed for 90 days. After 90 days, they may be removed.

    Oh. That's not good.
    That means the Google archives will only work for 90 days, if not
    accessed. Hmmm... that knocks out tinypic.

    That leaves only imgur.com then.

    Danny D., Jul 2, 2013
  12. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 09:43:07 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

    > Which points to their letter at:
    > http://picturepush.com/gopro

    Yikes. They're going to delete the pictures!
    That will make a zillion USENET posts useless as an archive.
    Bummer.

    FROM THEIR LETTER:
    Unfortunately, starting today PicturePush.com will no longer
    offer a free-plan. After seven years of operation we are unable
    to support the cost of free accounts using advertising. ...
    the only option we see is to move picturepush.com to a paid-only
    service. ... As of now (June 30th) you will no longer be able to
    upload photos to your account. Starting July 14th, your images
    will no longer be visible and on July 30th we will take the images
    offline. (We will try to keep a backup available as long as we can)
    Until then it will be possible to download your albums as a zip file
    (or via webdav).

    Danny D., Jul 2, 2013
  13. Re: Did the free photo uploading site (picturepush.com) suddenly enforce registration?

    Danny D. submitted this idea :
    > On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 07:49:47 -0400, FromTheRafters wrote:
    >
    >> Images and
    >> videos that are not associated with an account are kept until they have
    >> not been viewed for 90 days. After 90 days, they may be removed.

    > Oh. That's not good.
    > That means the Google archives will only work for 90 days, if not
    > accessed. Hmmm... that knocks out tinypic.
    >
    > That leaves only imgur.com then.

    Keep a list of the URLs and do a cron job.

    FromTheRafters, Jul 2, 2013
  14. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 20:51:51 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

    > Danny: What's with including an completely unrelated newsgroup
    > (alt.home.repair) in your reply and posting off-topic over
    > there? I omitted it in my reply.

    Very many of the hundreds of pictures posted in the past few
    months on that newsgroup for DIYs used picturepush as the picture
    hosting site.

    Danny D., Jul 4, 2013
  15. Danny D.

    Guest