    - Is there any DID Wholesaler ?
    - What kind of price can I found on he market ?

    Thanks for your help

    Steve, Jan 23, 2010

  2. Steve

    Woody Guest

    Er, excuse me but this is a UK group.

    WTF is DID?

    Woody, Jan 23, 2010

  3. Direct Inbound Dialling. We call them DDI's.

    And yes, they're not always free. Why should they be? The ITSPs need to
    maintain equipment to handle inbound calls - they interface the PSTN to
    the Internet and that costs money, so why shouldn't they charge?

    Some ITSPs don't charge - good for them. They still have their on-going
    costs, but they cover them by charging elsewhere. Or hope to.

    IPKALL is free, but do note what it says on the front page:

    "we do NOT provide any customer service."

    You get what you pay for.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Jan 23, 2010
  4. Direct Inward Dialling

    Graham Murray, Jan 23, 2010
  5. Steve

    Graham. Guest

    He appears to be French, but I don't hold that against him :)
    Actually he raises an interesting point, UK numbers are easy for anyone in the
    world to obtain, the only European one I have so far got FOC is an Itallian one
    http://www.euteliavoip.com

    Graham., Jan 23, 2010
  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi Graham,

    Graham.... you're right .. I am french ! :)
    How did you find this ?...I will make sure to be not discovered next
    time :)

    Anyway, Gordon mentioned that companies provide support, to justify
    their cost.. which support do they provide on DID ?
    I understand that IPKALL doesn't provide support, but they provide the
    US numbers for free and these numbers have a cost. If I understood
    correctly, they paid for it. Where do they get they money back ?
    I took un US number from ipkall and it doesn't cost me one penny

    Should be the same for italian numbers... Do you pay your communication
    with this provider ?

    Cheers,

    Steve, Jan 24, 2010
  7. Steve

    Geo Guest

    Well - included in your message is this information:-

    I doubt you will be able to change that :)

    Geo, Jan 24, 2010
  8. It's not just to justify the cost and to provide supprot - it's because
    it actually costs us money to host/maintain the numbers for you, and
    these fees originate from various sources...

    Nummbers don't just "appear" out of thin air - it's all very country
    dependant, but for example, to start with you may need licenses,
    membership fees, etc. and be members of some governemnt quango setup to
    regulate such things and you then need equipment that will bridge the PSTN
    and the Internet and a means to pass calls both ways - it costs money to
    buy (or lease) and host that equipment in a data centre somewhere. Some
    makes of equipment also require licensing fees on a per number, channel or
    some other fictional reason basis, based on what the proprietary vendor
    thinks they can get away with. Getting a good internet feed (or multiple
    feeds) also costs money, so you need an investment there. Paying staff
    costs money, so ...

    And so on.

    Maybe that they have a generous philanthropist running it, or maybe
    it's just so cheap in the US, that it's not worth bothering with.

    Or maybe it's a government sting so they can investigate how to tap into
    VoIP calls.. Who knows :)

    Actually, it looks like IPKALL is a small part of a larger telephone
    company, so maybe they're just dabbling to see what the market is - if
    they already have infrastructure, it's probably easy for them to just
    stick an asterisk server or 2 on their network somewhere and let it run...

    So you want free numbers - go for it, but if you're selling-on services
    backed by these free numbers, or having a business reliant on it, then
    think twice. Sipgate quote 48 hours turnaround on support calls last
    time I looked. I want 2 miutes, not 2 days if I have a problem and have
    customers dependant on it, and I'm willing to pay for that.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Jan 24, 2010
  9. Steve

    Owain Guest

    I thought the Italian regulator had some tiresome requirement that
    Italian VoIP terminals had to be located in Italy, rather negating
    much of the usefulness of VoIP?

    Owain

    Owain, Jan 25, 2010
  10. Steve

    Brian A Guest

    OK, so while we are on this subject, has anyone found a cheap/free DID
    provider for Spain?

    Brian A, Jan 27, 2010