    The result is not the sqrt, it's the square. This error is in
    every version of Windows I've examined, but I haven't
    touched Vista yet.

    Dork Spotter, Oct 26, 2007

  2. Dork Spotter

    VanguardLH Guest

    Read the help included with the program.

    - Open calc.exe.
    - Press F1 or use the Help menu to show help.
    - Do a search on "key".
    - Pick the topic "Using keyboard equivalents of Calculator buttons".
    - Scroll down the list.

    And what do YOU see for the x^2 (square) function as its key
    equivalent? Now look at the key equivalent for the sqrt button. Yep,
    it is also the "@" key - EXCEPT that list doesn't also mention which
    *view* the button is available.

    In standard view, there is a "sqrt" button. In that same view, do you
    see a button marked "x^2" for squaring? No.

    In scientific view, there is a "x^2" (square) button. In that same
    view, do you see a button marked "sqrt"? No.

    The button available in one view is not available in the other. If
    you want the equivalent of sqrt while in the scientific view, use
    "x^y" (which uses "y" for the key equivalent) and use y = .5 for the
    exponent value.

    The key equivalents to *buttons* depends on which view you are using
    because the buttons are different in different views.

    VanguardLH, Oct 26, 2007

  3. Dork Spotter

    Gordon Guest

    Works OK here - XP SP2......must be you.....

    Gordon, Oct 26, 2007
  4. Dork Spotter

    Gordon Guest

    And that's on both machines...

    Gordon, Oct 26, 2007
  5. Dork Spotter

    Evan Platt Guest

    Works fine in Standard mode, not scientific mode.

    300.
    @
    = 17.3205081
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculator_(Windows)

    "Calculator since Windows 3.0 has had the 'sqrt' button available only
    in the standard mode. Switching over to scientific mode will make this
    button disappear. There is no fix, but Microsoft suggests raising
    numbers to the half power (e.g. 144 ^ .5 ),[2] even though selecting
    the 'inv' checkbox and clicking 'x^2' button will provide the square
    root function."

    Evan Platt, Oct 26, 2007