    enlghten me as to when companies will begin engineering software to run
    windows XP 64bit. Or do I need to replace and move on to Vista 64 bit? all
    help appreciated

    mike, Feb 20, 2009

  2. The reality is that XP x64 is an older operating system that is getting
    little or no attention. I think it's extremely unlikely that any new
    software will be written specifically for XP x64. That being said, some
    64-bit software written for Vista 64 should work fine on XP x64, if there
    are drivers for the hardware involved. But if I were buying today, I would
    definitely prefer Vista 64 over XP x64. The driver situation is better, and
    the overall support situation is better. And, even more important, there
    will be a direct upgrade path from Vista 64-bit to Win7 64-bit. That will
    NOT be true for XP x64 to Win7. You'll need to do a clean install there.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 20, 2009

  3. mike

    claudito Guest

    mike I think you did as I did. I run all CS4 applications using most of them.
    Almost all of them run in 32 bit emulation although they can use the 12Gb of
    RAM I have on my new system - which runs XP Pro x64. BUT I've had issues with
    a professional audio card not running at all with its 64bit drivers, and the
    manufacturer telling me that it will only6 run under true 64bit systems.
    AND Adobe tells me they don't recommend nor support XP Pro x64 as it has
    stability issues. So it look like having to move to Vista 64bit - which I was
    trying to avoid. I have a laptop with Vista Business and it runs OK after
    SP1, but the user interface is bloody cumbersome especially when you use
    Windows explorer all the time as I do... the Vista equivalent is so illogical
    it makes you weep. But - no choice, I think. Good luck

    claudito, Feb 26, 2009
  4. mike

    John Barnes Guest

    If someone said that XP Pro 64-bit had stability issues, I'd be looking for
    someone who knows what they are talking about. That is one of the most
    stable systems I have used. It was based on the Server code base and not
    the XP client code.

    John Barnes, Feb 28, 2009
  5. I'd agree with you, John. I am now long off of XP x64, but it certainly
    wasn't because of stability! (And, btw, I'm LOVING Win7 in 64bit.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 3, 2009
  6. mike

    Bridget K Guest

    I'm confused about what everyone is saying. I'm considering buying a new
    laptop with XP Pro 64-bit because I would like at least 8gb of memory.
    However, I'm concerned that the software I have will not run on it.
    Primarily, I use Adobe CS4, Offie 2007 and various other applications. Will
    my printers work with XP x64? Any advice would be much appreciated.

    Bridget

    Bridget K, Mar 3, 2009
  7. mike

    Robert Wolfe Guest

    If you are going to go with a 64-it version of Windows, I would
    recommend getting a copy of the 64-bit version Vista as it appears to
    have more hardware compatibility that the 64 bit version of Windows XP
    Professional. I bought a laptop with the 64 bit version of XP and
    driver support is very limited. I put the 64-bit version of Vista on
    the same machine and Vista saw every piece of hardware that the laptop has.

    Robert Wolfe, Mar 3, 2009
  8. You need to verify from your printer manufacturer that they have 64-bit
    drivers for their printer. The driver situation for printers in XP x64 is
    moderately good, but there will be some cases where you'll need to use a
    "compatible" driver that may have a slightly different feature set. But
    basic printing should work to any printer that has native PostScript or PCL
    support on the printer. What will NOT work, without direct support from the
    OEM, is any "host-based printing" printer. (The cheaper the printer, the
    more likely it is to be host-based printing.) But if the printer supports
    either PCL (HP's Printer Control Language, currently at version 6 for full
    colour support), or PostScript, then you'll be able to print to it. My basic
    rule for printers here, where I know that I'm often going to be running beta
    operating systems and need the absolutely most compatible solution for
    printers, is to use a network attached printer that includes PCL6 and
    PostScript 2. Right now, that's an HP 3505n.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 6, 2009