Did I buy the worst two Nikon cameras (or are they all this bad?)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Linda Sands, Oct 11, 2007.

  1. Linda Sands

    John Turco Guest

    SMS ???• ? wrote:

    Hello, Steven:

    That was my basic plan, but, I chose the incredible K100D, instead. The
    K10D's extra 4MP resolution seems rather trivial, and I don't find its
    other advantages (e.g., dust & weather sealing) worthy of the camera's
    significantly greater cost.
    Are you insane, or blinded by sheer, pro-Canon prejudice? The K100D is
    packed to the hilt, with advanced features and useful functions, which
    belie its "entry level" status; it's the best value, in DSLR bodies, by
    far.

    By any chance, do you have a personal grudge against the K100D, simply
    because it takes AA cells? ;-)

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Nov 2, 2007

  2. Linda Sands

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, Steven:

    As I've alluded to, elsewhere in this thread, the D40 looks (and feels)
    like a toy. The typical "amateur" would be much better served, by
    selecting the amazingly affordable and ruggedly built K100D, I think.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Nov 2, 2007

  3. Linda Sands

    Guest Guest

    and that's why they offer both models. now aren't you glad that they
    'defeatured' it?:)
    is that an either/or choice or can one pick both?
    indeed, it is an excellent camera for the price.
    you're catching on.

    Guest, Nov 2, 2007
  4. John Turco wrote:
    []
    John,

    I find neither the looks, the feel, or the functioning of the D40 "toy"
    like. To me its more like a lightweight version of the highly rugged and
    versatile Nikons I have used in the past.

    Both the lack of image-stabilising lenses and the use of AA cells would be
    negative points for me about the Pentax, as I prefer the single battery
    approach on the Nikon, and having the image in the viewfinder and on the
    auto-focus sensor stabilised is very helpful, which happens when in-lens
    VR of the Nikon rather than in-camera IS of the Pentax is used. The
    built-in dust removal of the K100D Super would be a welcome bonus. I
    don't see a zoom past 200mm in their range?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 2, 2007
  5. Linda Sands

    Guest Guest

    you are forgetting that with the aging inferior pentax mount, certain
    lenses can't be made. only with canon are there no restrictions
    whatsoever in lens design. :)

    seriously, there are a *lot* of pentax k-mount lenses out there. here's
    a list:

    <http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/index.html>

    Guest, Nov 2, 2007
  6. Linda Sands

    Sander Guest

    Compare prices with the D80 instead as that's a more comparable camera.
    The K10D would compare a lot better to the D80 than the D40(x).
    If you must compare with a D40 than stack it up against the K100D.
    The price difference will appear quite different with these IMO more
    valid comparisons.

    Even then I think it is quite cheap for image stabilisation that works
    with any lens you can possibly put on the camera. With in-lens
    stabilisation you'd have to pay for it again with every lens.

    Both systems have their own strengths and weaknesses.
    In-body stabilisation doesn't stabilise the viewfinder which could be a
    disadvantage. Some people claim that in-lens works better at longer
    focal lengths although I haven't seen any evidence yet to actually back
    those claims with facts other than canon marketing blurbs. I cannot
    really compare them myself as I don't have any lenses over 200mm myself.
    I've used a FA*400F5.6 once but not long enough to be able to comment on
    the actual performance of the SR with that lens although the few shots I
    made with it looked pretty good for a 400mm that was hand held.

    One advantage of in-body is that even 25 year old M prime lenses are now
    stabilised when connected to a body with SR and the Pentax system in my
    own experience does work.

    There is aren't many choices when it comes to long lenses at the moment
    for Pentax although Pentax has longer lenses on the roadmap. It might be
    a while before they're actually available. Remember though that
    something like a Sigma 50-500 also is stabilised on SR bodies.

    Sander

    Sander, Nov 2, 2007
  7. Linda Sands

    Sander Guest

    I have to carry AA regargables, a charger and a spare set anyway for my
    AF540FGZ flash. Isn't it great that the camera can use the same
    batteries and I don't have to travel with 2 chargers?

    There were some minor annoyances with the self-discharge of regular NiMH
    cells initially but Eneloop took care of that very effectively.

    For me the AA cells are a feature I enjoy using, not a limitation in any
    way. If someone has a different personal prerference that's fine but
    it's not a problem with the camera. It's just another personal preference.

    Sander

    Sander, Nov 2, 2007
  8. Thanks for the pointer. The fact remains that there are no zoom or fixed
    lenses past 200mm listed on the UK Pentax site:

    http://www.pentax.co.uk/_uk/photo/lenses/index.php?lenses&gruppe=201&artikel_nr=21507

    Hardly a way for them to present their cameras as being part of a system,
    is it?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 2, 2007
  9. Actually, no, the 6Mpix Nikon still beats the 6Mpix Pentax, but by not
    much. Of course, it doesn't have the in-body IS.
    Presumably, though, without auto-focus?
    I don't know, but I suspect the lack of longer lenses may be symptomatic
    of Pentax being a less "complete" system than Canon or Nikon, which may or
    may not matter to someone. I suspect that purchasers of either would be
    pleased with their cameras.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 2, 2007
  10. Linda Sands

    Guest Guest

    i seem to recall that they aren't manufacturing full frame lenses
    anymore (other than the macros and limiteds). maybe that's why they no
    longer list any. b&h has a 75-300:

    <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/376627-REG/Pentax_27718_SMCP_FA_J
    _75_300mm_f_4_5_5_8.html>
    true, but there is a *huge* amount of used pentax glass available, both
    in k-mount and m42 with an adapter, and relatively inexpensively too.
    finding lenses to fit pentax is not difficult.

    Guest, Nov 2, 2007
  11. Seems a bit spiteful, if those lenses still fit the current cameras.
    Perhaps it suggests no Pentax full-frame any time soon?
    Thanks for that information. It's good news for some buying into Pentax.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 2, 2007
  12. Linda Sands

    ASAAR Guest

    Insane? I wouldn't go quite that far. Let's just say that where
    sentience is concerned, he appears to be a defeatured model. :)

    ASAAR, Nov 2, 2007
  13. Linda Sands

    Guest Guest

    it looks like they have a new 200mm, 300mm and 60-250mm, all with
    ultrasonic motors (new to pentax), along with the vaporware medium
    format 645d:
    <http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07022501pentaxatpma2007.asp>

    supposedly, pentax has an announcement in december about their future
    direction with new cameras in january or so.

    Guest, Nov 2, 2007
  14. Thanks for that. I don't know quite what to make of the very long delay,
    nor of the fact that some of the lenses were supposed to have been
    released in September 2007 and still aren't here. What's so complicated
    about the 35mm F2.8 Macro that it doesn't even have a release date?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 2, 2007
  15. Linda Sands

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, David:

    That may well be; regardless, the D40 is no fair match, for the K100D.
    The latter is quite a bit more robust, and I've handled both models.
    The reputed "superiority" of "image-stabilising lenses" cannot be very
    large, eh? Their added expense >is< a major factor, however.

    Pentax's "in-camera" approach, to image stabilization, is much wiser, I
    believe.
    Trivial and of questionable effectiveness, alas.
    Well, there's always a vast selection of Pentax "film" lenses, to chose
    from.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Nov 4, 2007
  16. Linda Sands

    John Turco Guest

    nospam wrote:

    Hello,

    Yeah, being a pauper, I really appreciate the economy that Pentax
    provides. :)

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Nov 4, 2007
  17. John Turco wrote:
    []
    John,

    Nikon have at least one low-cost VR lens in their range - the excellent
    quality 55 - 200mm VR lens. I hope that other manufacturers will follow
    suit in reducing the premium on IS/VR lenses.

    One price example:
    http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1643/33/xx/433/1/criteresn.html

    Standard 55-200mm - GBP 202
    VR 55-200mm - GBP 228

    In-lens VR/IS is undoubtedly superior from the photographer's viewpoint,
    as the image in the viewfinder is stabilised making accurate framing
    easier, and the image on the focus sensors is stabilised as well. Try
    some image-stabilised binoculars to see what I mean. Perhaps if you have
    a whole lot of lenses the lower cost of the in-camera IS outweighs better
    utility of the in-lens IS.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 4, 2007
  18. Linda Sands

    Guest Guest

    The AA cells are definitely a drawback, as are the lack of IS lenses.
    The K10D uses Li-Ion, which solves one of those issues. The typical
    Pentax buyer isn't going to spend the money on IS lenses anyway, as they
    are primarily price driven, so the in-camera IS is actually more suited
    to Pentax's market segment. However the IS amateur lenses for Nikon and
    Canon actually are not all that expensive.

    Note that with the DX-FBH-P2 after-market grip for the K100D, you do
    gain the ability to use Li-Ion packs, but of course the grip is
    something you often don't want to lug around.

    Guest, Nov 5, 2007
  19. Linda Sands

    John Turco Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    Hello, David:

    Actually, the main reason, other than price, I bought the K100D
    (body only), is the fact that it's fully compatible with my FAJ
    28mmF3.5-80mmF5.6 autofocus lens. The latter came bundled with
    my Pentax ZX-60 (35mm film SLR) kit, and is the sole such type
    of item I own, presently.

    Of course, the K100D's 1.5x "crop factor," makes my FAJ the 35mm
    equivalent of 42mm-120mm; another benefit of using a "film lens"
    is the lack of vignetting involved.

    Also, the following quote (from a Pentax brochure) reveals yet
    a further example of this camera's surprisingly high technology:

    "The K100D’s sophisticated SAFOX VIII autofocus system
    features 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors) to
    automatically focus on the subject with utmost precision,
    even when it is positioned off center."

    In comparison, the Nikon D40 offers a mere three "cross-type
    sensors," which is common for (non-Pentax) entry level DSLR's.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Nov 6, 2007
  20. John Turco wrote:
    []
    John,

    Of course, if you have an existing lens you want to use, that would
    influence the choice of brand, and have a "film" lens could produce better
    corner performance.

    So far, I've found the auto-focus on the D40 to do an excellent job, by
    the way, and I'm not sure I would want many more sensors. With 11 AF
    sensors, how do you (or how does the camera) choose which one to believe?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 6, 2007