    with what you can do with large format when you can tilt/shift the lens
    and the negative as you want. Just wondering if I can "piggy-back" a
    cheap point-n-shoot on the back of a large format beast?

    chibitul, Aug 4, 2004

  2. chibitul

    Sabineellen Guest

    Just wondering if I can "piggy-back" a
    why? what for?

    Sabineellen, Aug 4, 2004

  3. chibitul

    chibitul Guest

    why? what for?[/QUOTE]

    do you have any idea what a large format camera can do??? you can move
    the lens and the focal plane independently, achieving effects never
    possible with a point-n-shoot (or even a dSLR).

    chibitul, Aug 4, 2004
  4. If you mean to use the point and shoot camera to photograph the image on
    the ground glass, it won't work. The image is much too dim to record
    with such a camera. Also, you couldn't focus close enough unless the
    camera had a macro mode, which most likely it wouldn't.

    Leonard Evens, Aug 4, 2004
  5. Ah - Calumet sells a LF Digi cam adapter, its 3k,... welcome to LF work
    hah hah.

    Paul Atreides, Aug 4, 2004
  6. chibitul

    chibitul Guest

    yes, that is what I mean. Most cameras have a macro mode, but you can
    also put the camera about 0.5 meters away from the ground glass.

    Ok, the image is dim, but this is large format camera here, not sports
    or action. we're talking landscapes, biuldings, etc, right? what's wrong
    with a slow shutter speed?

    And do you really need the ground glass? what if you *remove* the ground
    glass, the image will act as an object for the digicam. it should work.

    chibitul, Aug 4, 2004
  7. chibitul

    Mark M Guest

    do you have any idea what a large format camera can do??? you can move
    the lens and the focal plane independently, achieving effects never
    possible with a point-n-shoot (or even a dSLR).[/QUOTE]

    Ever here of 35mm tilt/shift lenses?
    These work swimmingly on DSLRs.

    Mark M, Aug 4, 2004
  8. chibitul

    Mark M Guest

    How will the "image act as an object" without the glass?

    Mark M, Aug 4, 2004
  9. chibitul

    chibitul Guest

    yes, but you have more flexibility with large format, i think?

    chibitul, Aug 4, 2004
  10. chibitul

    chibitul Guest

    optics 101.

    chibitul, Aug 4, 2004
  11. chibitul

    chibitul Guest

    just to clarify, the image is there regardless if you have the glass or
    not. The rays will keep propagating toward the digicam, and they
    "emerge" from the real image, no glass needed. as I said, optics.

    chibitul, Aug 4, 2004
  12. chibitul

    Skip M Guest

    do you have any idea what a large format camera can do??? you can move
    the lens and the focal plane independently, achieving effects never
    possible with a point-n-shoot (or even a dSLR).[/QUOTE]

    You can get bellows lenses for Nikons, I believe, and tilt and shift lenses
    for Canon, that achieve much of what the bellows on a large format camera
    does. Can't use them on a P&S, of course, but you can use them on DSLR
    bodies. No AF, but at that point, who'd expect that?

    Skip M, Aug 4, 2004
  13. chibitul

    PGG Guest

    Optics 101? The plastic lens on the P&S will mess up the focus. Even if
    you figured that out, the crop will be huge.

    They make digital scanning backs for large-format cameras. $20,000 I
    think.

    PGG, Aug 4, 2004
  14. chibitul

    Sabineellen Guest

    I'm just at a loss as to why you would want to use a cheap P&S digicam
    piggybacked to a large format one. Why not just take a large format, or even
    medium format image and digitize it.

    Sabineellen, Aug 4, 2004
  15. chibitul

    Stacey Guest

    lol

    Stacey, Aug 4, 2004
  16. chibitul

    Mark M Guest

    Are you saying that you just stick the digicam in there...focus on the point
    where the glass WOULD HAVE BEEN...and voila...you'll get the full image????

    That doesn't work.

    Mark M, Aug 4, 2004
  17. chibitul

    Mark M Guest

    Cameras collect lens-projected light, but they can't reach out and bend
    projected light at some imaginary plane and change it's direction so that it
    is bent toward a tiny sensor which is too small to collect the light as it
    is projected by the lens. Draw a picture to see why this doesn't work.

    The light must be bent toward the tiny confines of the sensor, or you'll get
    nothing but a tiny piece of the image...which would basically appear big
    blurry light.

    Mark M, Aug 4, 2004
  18. chibitul

    IRO Guest

    The problem at this point is that the light rays from the big camera's
    lens are radiating outward in a cone, focused on the glass screen (or
    film). The P&S can only ever see a tiny fraction of that cone where-ever
    you put it, except perhaps very close in behind the camera lens where
    its tiny lens can intercept the complete cone. Unfortunately the image
    would be wildly out of focus there, plus it would negate all the
    features of the large format camera you are hoping to utilise.

    Try it out for yourself by making a simulated LF camera with a simple
    magnifying glass set in a hole in a cardboard box, with a sheet of lunch
    wrap on the opposite side representing the glass screen. Depending on
    the focal length of the magnifier and the size of the box, you should be
    able to see a focused image on the screen. Now remove the screen and
    place your eye (the P&S equivalent) in the cone of light. There's no
    position where your eye can see a coherent image, the physics of light
    simply don't allow it.

    Focusing the P&S on the ground glass screen would work, but it would be
    a grotty photo. The screen is only intended to give the photographer an
    idea of the composition, but it it full of zillions of tiny defects that
    aren't a problem normally.

    IRO, Aug 4, 2004
  19. chibitul

    jjs Guest

    It's just plain crazy to think of photograhing the ground glass. Has the OP
    ever looked at a ground glass? And that's only one reason.

    jjs, Aug 4, 2004
  20. chibitul

    jjs Guest

    You are, of course, imagining shooting the aerial image. Sweet dreams,
    chibitul.

    jjs, Aug 4, 2004