    few seconds I get a dial tone. Then I hear that "if you want to make a
    call please hang up and try again" message. Then silence. Is this a
    hardware issue?

    Amy Christensen, Aug 10, 2004

  2. Amy Christensen

    Unk Guest

    Modem is shot.

    Unk, Aug 10, 2004

  3. Amy Christensen

    Pennywise Guest

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 01:33:24 GMT, Amy Christensen

    |>I've noticed some strange behavior since I got my computer back from the
    |>shop. All I can figure out is that when I plug my 56K modem into the
    |>wall it must send some signal that causes it to go off the hook. For a
    |>few seconds I get a dial tone. Then I hear that "if you want to make a
    |>call please hang up and try again" message. Then silence. Is this a
    |>hardware issue?

    In your modem properties you have an area to put in an initialization
    string when it starts up.

    Put in ATZ and apply. This will reset your modem each time it's
    started.

    It's worth a shot.

    Pennywise, Aug 10, 2004
  4. Nope, it's still misbehaving. I can wait awhile to fix it; I normally
    use it only for its fax capabilities.

    Thank you both for your help.

    Amy Christensen, Aug 12, 2004