    program and it says the computer has no viruses.

    Can anyone please tell me how I can stop this problem and advise what may be
    causing it? Thanks very much.

    George S, Jun 1, 2005

  2. George S

    PC Guest

    Using Goggle I found from Castle Cops that mcm3.exe is
    "
    ShopAtHome/SAHagent adware variant
    "

    Look in your startup files, & registry entries.

    Hope this helps.

    Paul

    PC, Jun 1, 2005

  3. George S

    Frederick Guest

    It is probably the program that you have identified which is
    adware/spyware - and possibly others, trying to "phone home"
    periodically and bringing up your coonect to internet dialog.
    Firstly, block the program's internet access with Zone Alarm.
    Then download and run Spybot Search and Destroy and Lavasoft AdAware to
    remove it.

    Frederick, Jun 2, 2005
  4. George S

    George S Guest

    Thank you Frederick and Paul for this advice. However, I have used Spybot
    and Lavasoft Adaware, blocked mcm3.exe internet access with Zone Alarm,
    deleted mcm3 from the start up files (RUN MSCONFIG STARTUP), but the problem
    remains. It happened after I downloaded a free internet phone program Yadio,
    which I have now deleted. However, Yadio may not have been the source of the
    problem and it may not be mcm3.exe which is causing the dial up connection
    notice to keep on reappearing every 10 seconds or so after I have deleted
    it! Any other suggestions to fix this problem would be welcome.

    Thanks

    George

    George S, Jun 2, 2005
  5. George S

    PAM. Guest

    My partner had this problem on her pc a while ago and I think we traced it
    down to a MS settings issue. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me think
    what it was.
    Is it anything to do with your mail programm being open and wanting to auto
    download every x minutes?
    There's a panel where you set up the dial-up or lan connections, perhaps in
    Network connections, and perhaps in there there's a flag to set on/off to
    say never dial a connection.
    :)

    Unhelpful PAM.

    PAM., Jun 2, 2005
  6. George S

    H.O.G Guest

    Hi, George.

    mcm3.exe IS spyware (ShopAtHome), and it is almost certainly what is
    trying to phone home. Are you sure you updated the definitions in
    Adaware? Also probably best to download Spybot Search and Destroy as
    well - often each of these miss stuff the other picks up.

    Anyway, the following link has full information, as well as full
    manual removal instructions:

    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453076082

    H.O.G, Jun 2, 2005
  7. George S

    J.wilson Guest

    I would check add/remove programs in control panel for
    strangers then run 'HijackThis'

    J.wilson, Jun 2, 2005
  8. George S

    George S Guest

    I think you have solved this one for me PAM so you should have called
    yourself "Helpful Pam"!

    In Outlook Express, I went to: Tools, Options, Connection, Change, then
    under the heading "Choose settings if you need to configure a proxy server
    for a connection" I altered the setting from "Always dial my default
    connection" TO "Never dial a connection". This has stopped the dial-up
    connection from popping up all the time. The dial up connection was popping
    up even when Outlook Express was closed.

    Although this has solved the immediate problem, the underlying cause of why
    the computer started doing this is still a mystery to me.

    Thanks again for your help.

    Regards, George

    George S, Jun 2, 2005
  9. George S

    George S Guest

    Good idea to do this, thanks!

    George S, Jun 2, 2005
  10. George S

    George S Guest

    Thanks HOG, it is interesting that the updated versions of both Spybot and
    Adaware SE Personal did not find or remove mcm3.exe, but after disabling it
    from the start up files list (Run msconfig start up) I was then able to
    delete the mcm3.exe from my computer. I think it may have come into the
    computer through one of the free internet radio stations that I was
    listening to, but I could be wrong on this.

    As mentioned to Pam, after altering the settings in Outlook Express for
    configuring a proxy server to: "Never dial a connection" the dial up
    connection no longer keeps popping up, but it will keep doing this if the
    setting is "Always dial my default connection" .

    I'm not sure why the dial up connection suddenly started popping up in the
    first place, so there may still be some "bad" software on my computer!

    Regards, George

    George S, Jun 2, 2005
  11. George S

    H.O.G Guest

    Hmm, this is only addressing the symptoms and not the cause.

    Have you got a virus scanner?

    Did you go to add/remove programs, and look for " ShopAtHomeSelect
    Agent" ? There's a lot more to this one than just the file you
    discovered.

    Let us know how you get on.

    H.O.G, Jun 2, 2005
  12. George S

    PAM. Guest

    Perhaps the spy shit turned it on and may do so in the future. I'd keep an
    eye on it for a while at least.

    PAM.

    PAM., Jun 2, 2005
  13. George S

    Squirrel Guest

    I have made Outlook my default mail reader, but since switching to
    Broadband I have the same problem, which has forced me to do my email
    on the web which I hate and is far from ideal, is this a similar
    problem? I have run Norton, Spybot and adaware oh yes and avg and
    cleaned everything up but still it keeps happening.

    Squirrel

    I'm only scarey cos I'm hairy

    Squirrel, Jun 2, 2005
  14. George S

    Squirrel Guest

    I hunted hi and lo for never dial a connection, simply cannot find it,
    have tried a lan connection still no joy

    Squirrel

    I'm only scarey cos I'm hairy

    Squirrel, Jun 2, 2005
  15. George S

    George S Guest

    Thanks HOG for these comments. I have had a further look at my programs list
    but I don't think there is a "ShopAtHomeSelect Agent still there, now that I
    have removed the mcm3 program. However, there is another prompt that I am
    getting from Zone Alarm that says Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
    wants to access the internet. I am not sure whether to permit this one or
    not, can anyone tell me what this generic host process is?

    Regards, George

    George S, Jun 2, 2005
  16. George S

    Dave Taylor Guest

    The free program TCPView tells you what app is trying to connect.
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/tcpview.shtml

    Dave Taylor, Jun 2, 2005
  17. George S

    Unk Guest

    You may have set up some applications to check for updates, Check the Task scheduler, Firewalls,
    Windows Update, Anti-Virus programs, Windows Media Player, etc.

    Do you have Outlook Express Minimized?
    If you have it set to check for Email at regular intervals and you're not on line, it will bring
    up the DUN.
    Tools > Options; and either uncheck the option to "Check for new messages every xx minutes" or
    change the option under "if my computer is not connected at the time..."

    Check the following registry location.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\OLE
    It should be set as follows:
    "EnableDCOM"="Y"
    "EnableRemoteConnect"="N"

    Here are the most common places Windows uses to load startup programs:

    load= and run= in "Win.ini";

    [386Enh] section of "System.ini";

    C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp;

    Registry Location keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run or RunServices.
    and...
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run or RunServices.

    Unk, Jun 2, 2005
  18. George S

    George S Guest

    Thanks very much Unk for this information. I don't have Outlook Express set
    to check for e-mail at regular intervals. I will also check out the other
    points you mention. The prompt that is occurring most frequently from Zone
    Alarm is "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" wants access to the
    internet. If I don't approve of this, Outlook Express will not download my
    e-mail, so I guess this generic host process is safe, what is your view on
    this one?

    Regards, George

    George S, Jun 2, 2005
  19. George S

    H.O.G Guest

    Hi, George.

    That's a standard part of Windows.

    When you say the "programs list", do you mean the "add/remove
    programs" list, through Control Panel?

    H.O.G, Jun 2, 2005
  20. George S

    George S Guest

    Yes, that's correct. With regard to the generic host process question, I
    found a good discussion about this here:

    http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/272.html

    I also have the AVG virus checker on board and right up to date. It has
    never detected any viruses in my computer.

    Regards, George

    George S, Jun 2, 2005