    was allowed to synchronize.
    I think I will keep it blocked, whatever it is and walk away for awhile and
    see if this stops.

    MsyJsy, Jul 5, 2004

  2. MsyJsy

    Plato Guest

    Check for sypware.

    Plato, Jul 5, 2004

  3. I had that problem once. Probably Spyware (Hotbar) related. One day, it got
    so bad (as bad as yours) that I had to call Dell. The Dell
    technician had me run msconfig, and go though all my startup routines and
    uncheck the ones that I really don't need to narrow down or
    stop the problem. I read on a webpage that you can check for spyware by
    getting taskmanager to list all of the jobs that you have running
    and enter their names into Google to see if they are known spyware. Check
    out

    http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/sbs-taskmgr.html

    Patrick D. Rockwell, Jul 6, 2004
  4. MsyJsy

    MsyJsy Guest

    I will investigate that task manager idea right now.
    But so far I think it is boiled down to Generic Host Process for Win32
    Services 5.1.
    When I block it at the firewall PC does not make attempt to dial, but it
    also blocks out my wife's msn.com home page, but none of the stuff I want to
    get to, and will not allow me connect to the server when I synchronize out
    look while off-line.

    --
    MsyJsy

    MsyJsy, Jul 6, 2004
  5. MsyJsy

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Svchost/Generic Host Process is only the messenger for the O/S and other
    programs such as spyware, Trojans that run on the machine that will use
    Svchost on their behalf to make contact with a remote site.

    You need to find what's using Svchost/Generic Host Process and kill it
    instead of Svchost/Generic Host Process.

    The tools Process Explorer and Active Ports are some free tools being
    discussed in the link that can help you the culprit.

    http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Hidden_Backdoors_Trojan_Horses_and
    _Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 6, 2004