Dial-up access to cisco aux port does not respond to keystrokes

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ttripp, Nov 14, 2008.

  1. ttripp

    ttripp Guest

    I have a USR Sportster 33.6 Faxmodem connected to a Cisco 2691's aux
    port, using a cisco roll-over cable. When I dial in to the router,
    the modem picks up and the aux line's password query comes up, but
    when I enter the password, the router does not see what I type.
    However, if I use +++ to get the modem's attention, I can enter modem
    AT commands, and the modem responds as expected. If I ATO out of the
    modem and back to the router, eventually the router times out and
    hangs up.

    Here's what my aux line config looks like:

    line aux 0
    password 7 00071A150754
    login
    modem InOut
    transport input all

    Here's what my terminal session looks like:

    ONNECT 9600 /V34/LAPM

    % Password: timeout expired!
    Password:
    OK <---- (Here's where I used the AT command to see if the modem
    is responding to my keystrokes)
    CONNECT 9600 /V34/LAPM <--- (and here's where I entered ATO to get
    out of the modem AT command-line)

    % Password: timeout expired!
    Password: <--- (I enter the password, but no response)
    % Password: timeout expired!
    % Bad passwords

    NO CARRIER <--- (Router times out waiting for the password)

    I've tried everything I can think of: setting modem auto discovery,
    setting modem auto type usr_sportster, chaning the speed, the
    stopbits, the flowcontrol on both the router and my Hyperterm
    session. I have another Cisco router in another location with
    identical router and modem hardware, and it responds with no problems.

    One other thing: if I try to reverse telenet into the modem from the
    router itself, it generates a "% Connection refused by remote host"
    error.

    I've had people at the remote location triple-check the hardware, and
    they swear it's set up according to my instructions.

    Has anyone seen a problem like this, and have a solution? Thanks.

    ttripp, Nov 14, 2008

  2. ttripp

    Thrill5 Guest

    Bad rollover cable?