    Alternatively, would an old PC running smoothwall etc be able
    to do this?

    Cheers,

    Rob, Oct 16, 2008

  2. Rob

    Bernard Peek Guest

    A cheap router would do the job. Out of the box most of them have their
    DHCP server enabled. Typically they take an address like 192.168.0.1 and
    dish out addresses from 192.168.2 onwards. They will also set the DNS
    and gateway addresses though, you may not want that though..

    It's hardly worth adding additional hardware though. If you have
    machines already on the network can you run DHCP server software on one
    of them?

    http://www.softcab.com/dhcp-server/index.php

    http://corporate.weird-solutions.com/products/dhcp-turbo

    http://www.brothersoft.com/dhcp-server-130637.html

    Or try this without a DHCP Server

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/220874

    Bernard Peek, Oct 16, 2008

  3. Rob

    Rob Morley Guest

    I think just about any domestic router will do it.
    Yes, but do you really need a dedicated machine to do it? You can run a
    DHCP service on any PC connected to the network. Here's one:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/dhcp-dns-server/

    Rob Morley, Oct 16, 2008
  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Thanks, Rob. Its for imaging and all 32 PCs can be assumed to have
    no OS installed (imaging s/w runs from bootCDs.) I have an old
    domestic ADSL router I can try first (and dozens of old PCs..)
    Cheers,

    Rob, Oct 16, 2008
  5. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Thanks, Bernard. As I said to Rob, I'll try an old ADSL router, first,
    as all of the PCs could be blank (imaging soln). I did try to find
    something
    that ran under XP (on an old lappy), but none of them seemed to be able to
    support enough clients (30 limit, ISTR.)
    I don't recognize all of those links, so will check 'em out.
    Thanks again,

    Rob, Oct 16, 2008
  6. Rob

    Clint Sharp Guest

    Can the imaging software not be configured to dole out IP addresses?

    Are the PCs to be booted from some kind of disk or are they PXE booting?

    You might need to be a little choosy if you are PXE booting as the PXE
    boot process uses BOOTP to obtain an address and not all DHCP servers
    respond correctly to BOOTP requests.

    Clint Sharp, Oct 18, 2008