    (hops)? It would seem possible as the packets are unicast. Can anyone
    confirm?

    Thanks in advance.

    cyphus, Aug 24, 2004

  2. cyphus

    Consultant Guest

    as long as the correct rules are in place

    Consultant, Aug 25, 2004

  3. Yes, and yes. Directed datagrams are referred to as "directed" for a reason.
    ;-)

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Aug 25, 2004
  4. cyphus

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again Laura A. Robinson
    unless they are blocked :)

    Neil, Aug 25, 2004
  5. Yes, and yes. Directed datagrams are referred to as "directed" for a reason.
    lol!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 25, 2004
  6. But that's not relevant to the question. :)

    Laura A. Robinson, Aug 25, 2004
  7. cyphus

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again Laura A. Robinson
    picky....

    Neil, Aug 25, 2004
  8. cyphus

    cyphus Guest

    Thank you!

    cyphus, Aug 26, 2004
  9. cyphus

    Guest Guest

    Absolutely, the Client tries to get an IP address from a DHCP server using a
    Broadcast. the Relay agent sees the Broadcast and it knows where the DHCP
    server is. so, it sends a UNICAST (not a broadcast) to the dhcp server with
    the requets on behalf of the client. the server receives it and if it has
    the correct scope it assigns the correct IP address. when the DHCP server
    Replies it replies directly to the client using a UNICAST also.
    Routers accept unicasts regardless of the amount of hops

    FMD

    Guest, Aug 27, 2004
  10. cyphus

    cyphus Guest

    Answering my own question (in case someone else would
    like to know the correct answer).
    The DHCP Relay Agent configuration dialog box allows you
    to configure the hop count threshold. The hop count
    threshold determines how far a DHCP request can travel on
    the network. The default is four hops, and the maximum is
    16 hops. Routers along the route need not be RFC 1542-
    compliant.
    Thanks for the guesses.

    cyphus, Sep 3, 2004
  11. You were given the correct answers to the questions you asked- Yes, and yes.
    That was not a guess.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 3, 2004
  12. cyphus

    catwalker63 Guest

    JaR, where'd you leave the pliers??

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    "I don't want one of those systems based on the cellulite processor."

    catwalker63, Sep 3, 2004
  13. cyphus

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, catwalker63 climbed on a soapbox &
    opined:
    Neil dropped 'em overboard last time he went fishing in the MCNGP Donzi.

    JaR
    Nautical Thug

    JaR, Sep 3, 2004
  14. cyphus

    catwalker63 Guest

    Well then, I suggest Neil buy a pair to replace them. We apparently
    need them a lot in here.

    catwalker63, Sep 3, 2004
  15. circa Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:43:58 -0500, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, catwalker63 (_catwalker63
    ) said,
    Or some of us need a little assistance in differentiating between
    idiot and troll.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 4, 2004
  16. circa Fri, 3 Sep 2004 20:19:40 -0400, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Laura A. Robinson
    () said,
    (me)

    <moping>

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 4, 2004
  17. cyphus

    Neil Guest

    didn't drop 'em...the last fish was so big it swallowed them.

    Neil, Sep 5, 2004
  18. cyphus

    Neil Guest

    forget pliers...we need a crane...I can't afford one just in case you
    were considering having me buy a crane...

    Neil, Sep 5, 2004
  19. cyphus

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again Laura A. Robinson
    is the only difference that you can be an idiot _without_ being a troll?
    (but not the other way around...)

    Neil, Sep 5, 2004
  20. circa Sun, 05 Sep 2004 12:04:23 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Neil ()
    said,
    Exactly.

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 5, 2004