    Could this be a intruder, i have MAC address filtering.

    Kinf Regards

    Carl

    CS, Apr 18, 2004

  2. CS

    Rob Morley Guest

    According to the MAC address it's probably a wireless device made by
    Prime Electronics & Satellitics Inc. Could it be the that the WAP built
    into your router gets assigned this address? (I don't do wireless, so I
    haven't a clue how these things work.)

    Rob Morley, Apr 18, 2004

  3. CS

    T i m Guest

    You don't mention if your router is a hardware one and if it supports
    wireless? If it is wireless one it is possible someone could connect
    to the LAN side (as opposed to the WAN side) of the router?

    All the best ..

    T i m

    T i m, Apr 18, 2004
  4. CS

    CS Guest

    Also My router is a Belkin 54g Wireless Router

    CS, Apr 18, 2004
  5. CS

    Ian Guest

    You mention MAC address filtering, So its safe to assume you have
    wireless. Check the WAP and see if its mac address matches. It
    proberly will if its running default and as such is using DHCP,
    Otherwise try browsing to it..

    Ian

    Ian, Apr 18, 2004
  6. CS

    T i m Guest

    Also My router is a Belkin 54g Wireless Router

    Well in that case it *is* possible that someone locally may have
    hooked into your network.

    To avoid this try the following at the router and any other wireless
    stuff you are using ..

    Change the SSID to something else (especially something other than
    'Wireless')

    Turn on WEP to whatever is the highest everything will go to (probably
    64 or 128 bit)

    Once it's all going turn off SSID broadcast (if you can). It easier to
    setup if it's on at the beginning.

    Some routers let you restrict access to just a limited range of mac
    addresses.

    All the best ..

    T i m

    Oh, also make sure you have a firewall on all your local machines.

    T i m, Apr 18, 2004
  7. How can you tell that? Of the six wireless networks I have seen
    available from my house, four are using a very similar MAC address and
    I have assumed they are all using the same, or similar, routers.

    The anorak in me is curious as to how you would know what MAC
    addresses belong to which manufacturers?

    Simon Pleasants, Apr 19, 2004
  8. CS

    Rob Morley Guest

    Look it up on the Interweb :) Each manufacturer of network equipment
    gets their own MAC prefix to use, to ensure that numbers are unique.

    Rob Morley, Apr 19, 2004
  9. Could it be your router?

    Craig Oldfield, Apr 20, 2004

  10. As Rob says, each manufacturer is assigned a MAC address prefix by the
    IEEE. The first 6 hex digits (3 bytes) identifies the manufacturer.

    For a full list see http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt

    Pete

    Pete Mainwaring, Apr 20, 2004
  11. CS

    Joe Guest

    That MAC address is registered to Prime Electronics... but then it could be
    spoofed!

    Joe.

    Joe, Apr 20, 2004
  12. I had pretty much guessed that would be the case but was hoping not to
    have to strain my grey matter by having to find it myself!

    I wondered if you knew of a magic link where they were all listed :)

    Simon Pleasants, Apr 20, 2004
  13. CS

    Rob Morley Guest

    I just Googled on
    mac-address manufacturer
    This was one of the results
    http://www.coe.uky.edu/~stu/nic/nic.cfm
    but there are plenty more

    Rob Morley, Apr 20, 2004
  14. CS

    Derek Guest

    Derek, Apr 20, 2004
  15. Thank you. I had already checked the link posted by someone else but
    this one is even better. I'm only curious, anyway, as I was intrigued
    by the fact that of the 6 (now 7) networks I have seen from inside my
    house the vast majority appeared to be using the same equipment.

    Simon Pleasants, Apr 20, 2004
  16. CS

    PJB Guest

    MAC addresses aren't registered with anyone, the first 3
    sets of digits represent the manufacturer of the network
    interface..as far as I know ;-)

    P.

    PJB, Apr 20, 2004
  17. CS

    PJB Guest

    DHCP in a router only works on the LAN side, not the WAN
    side, so whoever it is, he's connecting via your home
    network ;-)

    P.

    PJB, Apr 20, 2004
  18. CS

    Rob Morley Guest

    "If your firm manufactures or plans to manufacture products using
    ISO/IEC 8802 standards, you should apply to IEEE for your firm's OUI.
    The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. has been
    designated by the ISO Council to act as the registration authority for
    the implementation of International Standards in the ISO/IEC 8802
    series. This is the one world-wide source of registered OUIs."

    http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml

    Rob Morley, Apr 20, 2004
  19. CS

    BRG Guest

    Standards-conformant MAC address ranges are registered with the
    IEEE. See:
    http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/llc/index.html

    BRG

    BRG, Apr 20, 2004