    2. When interface is NOT in the slave mode, DHCP works fine.
    why?
    thanks

    LB, Nov 24, 2003

  2. LB

    icywind Guest

    Either you're a little confused you just answered your own question.

    You said bond0 is configured for 10.0.0.1 which means it's not going
    to get a dhcp address. From what I understand, when eth1-2 are in bond
    mode, they don't each need their own IP address; that would be
    redundant.

    Just to clear some stuff up, please post the contents of
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0 (or something named similar
    - I'm not sure how distro-dependent that name is).

    -icy

    icywind, Nov 26, 2003

  3. LB

    LB Guest

    Correct, eth1-2 don't need their own IPs. I was trying to use DHCP to assign
    IP to the newly created bond0. Here is the bond file (exactly from
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/...rfaces.html#S2-NETWORKSCRIPTS-INTERFACES-CHAN):

    DEVICE=bond0
    BOOTPROTO=none
    ONBOOT=yes
    NETWORK=10.0.1.0
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    IPADDR=10.0.1.27
    USERCTL=noWhen I set BOOTPROTO=dhcp none of the NIC get initialize. Is it by
    design?thanks

    LB, Nov 27, 2003
  4. LB

    LB Guest

    Also since eth1 and eth2 inherit the SAME address from bond0, how can I
    physically plug in eth1 and eth2 to two DIFFERENT sub-nets? The grand
    objective is to bond two connections from two ISPs
    thanks

    LB, Nov 27, 2003
  5. LB

    icywind Guest

    You misunderstand the purpose of ethernet bonding. The idea is not to
    bond two connections to two different places, but rather to bond two
    connections to the same place, thus creating a single interface that
    has twice as much bandwidth.

    When eth1-2 are in bonded mode, their configurations are ignored and
    bond0's configuration alone is used.

    As listed, the configuration file of bond0 doesn't use dhcp at all. If
    you do actually want to use a bonded ethernet connection (which
    doesn't solve your problem, by the way) you would modify bond0's
    configuration file to say this:
    DEVICE="bond0"
    BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
    ONBOOT="yes"
    NETWORK=""
    NETMASK=""
    IPADDR=""
    USERCTL="no"

    I'd say you're going down the wrong path to achieve what you want.
    Ethernet bonding is an experimental feature only really intended for
    serious network hackers.

    -icy

    icywind, Nov 28, 2003
  6. LB

    mike-sword

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2021
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Dear icy,

    I am trying to setup a bond configuration but not really sure about the dhcp part. In the dhcpd.conf. file, which MAC address (slave1, slave2?) will I use? I am assigning IP addresses based on MAC. Can you please help?

    mike-sword, Feb 4, 2021