Devloping 35mm film into digital pics: SnapFish vs Ofoto vs Shutterfly

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dan Irwin, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. Dan Irwin

    Dan Irwin Guest

    Hi

    This summer I went to California for a few weeks with my digital
    camera. After a few days I managed to lose my battery charger and was
    thus forced to use disposable cameras for the rest of the trip. When I
    got home I started looking around for a best way to get the pictures
    on the disposable cameras onto my computer in the highest quality.
    After I looked around the best [and cheapest] way to do this were
    using one of three sites: SnapFish, Ofoto, and Shutterfly.

    Now I have to decide between these three. Has anyone had any
    experience with them? Which will turn the 35mm film Into the highest
    quality digital pics?

    Thanks for the help,

    Dan

    p.s.

    I don't care about getting actual prints, just getting the highest
    quality computer pics possible

    Dan Irwin, Sep 20, 2004

  2. Dan Irwin

    Steven Guest

    I just checked snapfish to busy to check the others. After seaching
    all over the site I found that they scan your negs at 1536 x 1024 and
    say its good for a 8X10. Local labs will be a little more but I think
    at a better res. Call and find out. Walley work should be at a better
    res than this.

    Steve

    Steven, Sep 20, 2004

  3. Dan Irwin

    Mark Sieving Guest

    I don't know about Snapfish and Shutterfly, but Ofoto will NOT
    give you high resolution digital images. They will develop your
    film, send you the negatives, and post low resolution images on
    their website so that you can choose which pictures you want
    printed.

    Mark Sieving

    Mark Sieving, Sep 20, 2004
  4. Dan Irwin

    Todd H. Guest

    Shutterfly is the same way. I've been quite happy with their print
    quality for my purposes, however.

    Todd H., Sep 20, 2004
  5. Dan Irwin

    Dan Irwin Guest

    so i guess that makes Snapfish the winner?

    Dan Irwin, Sep 20, 2004
  6. Dan Irwin

    Joe Pucillo Guest

    Wasn't it Dan Irwin who said...
    Where are you located? Many times, you'll be able to find a
    local shop which can produce what you need without having to send
    you film through the mail.

    I've used three such labs here in my area that can develop the
    film and produce high quality 6Mp scans for less than $10 per
    roll. If you post your location, you might be able to find a
    better option.

    Incidentally, I have not been impressed with the work done by any
    of the three online houses you mentioned, but I do use
    printroom.com for some of my digital printing needs.

    Joe Pucillo, Sep 21, 2004
  7. Dan Irwin

    Dan Irwin Guest

    I live in north NJ. The techs at my local supermarket photo dpt are
    not that smart so I doubt they would even know the answer to these
    questions. Furthermore most places by me do not make photo cds without
    prints, thus jacking the price up to 11+ dollars per roll (2/3s of
    that price being for prints I don't want) and since I have about 20-30
    cameras and that price can get pretty high (and its all out of my
    pocket, my parents blaming me for losing the charger).

    Dan Irwin, Sep 22, 2004
  8. Dan Irwin

    Joe Pucillo Guest

    Wasn't it Dan Irwin who said...
    Develop and scan in a dust-free shop is going to run you about
    that much in most places for hi-rez images. But, you might want
    to check with Adorama in Manhattan (www.adorama.com) They have a
    digital lab that might be able to help you.

    Also, you might want to check with some of the mid-level camera
    stores in your area (stay away from the mall stores like Ritz, et
    al...) who would probably be able to either do your work or steer
    you in the right direction.

    While I wouldn't personally recommend them, I was once so
    stressed for time that I walked into a local CVS drug store and
    asked for a develop and lo-rez scan (no prints) and they charged
    me $8.95 (three for develop and 5.95 for the CD.)

    Maybe someone in the group from your area can help with more
    specific info on other providers. Good luck!

    Joe Pucillo, Sep 22, 2004
  9. Dan Irwin

    starlord Guest

    I've got over 500 photos online at snapfish and can get hi-rez copys on cd's
    from them for a extra fee. But I've been happy with them for 5 years now.

    Topcon Super D user

    --

    "And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
    Arthur C.Clarke 2062:eek:dyssey three

    SIAR
    www.starlords.org
    Telescope Buyers FAQ
    http://home.inreach.com/starlord
    Bishop's Car Fund
    http://www.bishopcarfund.netfirms.com/

    starlord, Sep 23, 2004
  10. Dan Irwin

    Udie Lafing Guest

    Good for you. This applies to rec.DARKROOM How? Sitting in the dark
    in your underwear while your computer uploads the images?

    --
    ?
    ?

    Udie Lafing, Sep 23, 2004
  11. Dan Irwin

    Dan Irwin Guest

    because at one point 35mm film does have to be devloped in a DARKROOM.

    Dan Irwin, Sep 23, 2004
  12. Dan Irwin

    Udie Lafing Guest

    Assuming he uses film.