Device to 'drive' existing home analog phone network?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by B.A.S., Jan 8, 2004.

  1. B.A.S.

    B.A.S. Guest

    This has probably been asked before, but I can't seem to come up with
    the proper search terms on google groups to find it...

    I'm considering providers such as Packet8, and would like to hook their
    box (DTA310 ) up to my whole existing home phone network (after
    disconnecting from PSTN), but they claim it can only drive 3 phones max.
    I assume this is because there is current draw for each phone, to drive
    ringing, etc.

    Has anyone tried driving more than 3 phones by plugging a DTA310 into
    their home phone wiring?

    Assuming it won't work, is there any sort of device available out there
    which will drive a dozen or so analog phones, to which I could hook up
    the DTA310? That way I wouldn't have to toss all my existing phones...

    The other alternative is to buy one of the wireless base
    station/extension configs that will support a large number of
    extensions, but that would be a fair chunk of change.

    On a related note, my biggest concern with dropping off the PSTN would
    be how to get 911 capability with a VOIP setup. I know they wouldn't get
    ANI which would identify my location, and there would be no 'operator
    hold', but if I could just dial them with a 7 digit number, I could
    program all the phones with that number speed dialed in, and train the
    household to use it (wouldn't work too well with visitors, though :( ).
    This deficiency may keep my from making the cut, but I'm still curious
    whether it could all be done otherwise, for minimal expense.

    Thanks,

    B.A.S.

    B.A.S., Jan 8, 2004

  2. B.A.S.

    Simon Newton Guest

    You need whats called R.E.N. booster (Ringer equivalence number). This
    basicly puts more current into the wire to drive more phones.

    simon

    Simon Newton, Jan 10, 2004