    software ver. I can ping it. It is listed in the routers arp table but
    to no avail is it shown in the cam table even while I am telneted into
    the device and pinging it.

    Matt P., Nov 9, 2004

  2. :Has anyone ever seen this? sho cam dyn or stat niether work. I have
    :looked for it by port and by MAC. It is a cat 5505 with 6.4 as the
    :software ver. I can ping it. It is listed in the routers arp table but
    :to no avail is it shown in the cam table even while I am telneted into
    :the device and pinging it.

    Have you turned off CEF? If not, then maybe the switching path
    is learned at the linecard level and it's not hitting the central
    processing?

    Though I'm not clear if 'the routers' are the same box as the 5505?
    Are you using an RSM blade, or is the router a separate device?

    Walter Roberson, Nov 9, 2004

  3. Matt P.

    Ben Guest

    Routers don't have a cam table last time I looked - they have a forwarding
    table built from the IP RIB and the arp cache.
    A layer 3 device does not need to map mac addresses to ports except as a
    consequence of building a forwarding table.

    Ben, Nov 10, 2004