    but as it (www.pcflank.com) couldn't determine my real IP, it stopped the
    scan.

    However, www.grc.com can find my real IP in a matter of seconds. Is it
    just a case of the scripting (if that's the right term) at www.grc.com
    being simply better than that at www.pcflank.com ? Or is there 'more to
    this than meets the eye' ?

    Thanks for your time, and for any information you might have.

    Regards,

    LLFormat.

    LLFormat, Jun 26, 2003

  2. LLFormat

    G. Morgan Guest

    Try:

    http://www.dslreports.com/whois

    G. Morgan, Jun 26, 2003

  3. LLFormat

    YK Guest

    There is 'more that meets the eye'.
    http://grc.com/np/rsvptech.htm

    YK, Jun 26, 2003
  4. LLFormat

    LLFormat Guest

    Thanks for that YK. Right after posting my original message, it did occur
    to me that www.grc.com 's scanner address had 'https://' at the front of
    it. I wasn't sure if this was relevant or not, but now I know it is. :)

    Thanks for the information.

    Regards,

    LLFormat.

    LLFormat, Jun 26, 2003
  5. LLFormat

    sponge Guest

    GRC uses a small application called IPAgent to determine your real,
    public IP address, which PCFlank does not. There are also Java and
    ActiveX controls that can determine your real IP, the one bound to
    your system.

    You are correct that some scanners are detecting that your ISP uses
    transparent proxies. (WHY your ISP is using transparent proxies at all
    has me wondering, though.) At any rate, scanning a proxy is pointless.
    They serve some security purpose although I'm wondering if they're
    pulling a Comcast.

    Have you tried scan.sygate.com?

    Sponge
    Sponge's Anti-Spyware Source