Determine the device is a router or switch given the Device IP via snmp

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by KuttapanPro, Nov 5, 2007.

  1. KuttapanPro

    KuttapanPro Guest

    I Have a Linksys Managed Switch and a Cisco router

    Using SNMP protocol I am trying determine the device is a router or
    switch and

    Also which all layers are supported by the device?

    Following methods are used .

    Issue a get request for: "sysObjectId", "sysDescr", "sysServices",
    "ipForwarding".

    Here is my problem I am surprised by the output of "sysServices"

    For Cisco router sysServices = 78

    For Cisco router ipForwarding = 1

    For Linksys switch sysServices = 2

    For Linksys switch ipForwarding = 2

    For For windows workstation sysServices = 76

    My Linksys Switch is a Layer 2 Device

    Then value Should be 3 = 2^ (1-1) + 2 ^(2-1)

    For Computing sysServices value blow stated Equation is used

    Note:
    A value which indicates the set of services that this
    entity may potentially offer. The value is a sum.
    This sum initially takes the value zero. Then, for
    each layer, L, in the range 1 through 7, that this node
    performs transactions for, 2 raised to (L - 1) is added
    to the sum. For example, a node which performs only
    routing functions would have a value of 4 (2^(3-1)).
    In contrast, a node which is a host offering application
    services would have a value of 72 (2^(4-1) + 2^(7-1)).
    Note that in the context of the Internet suite of
    protocols, values should be calculated accordingly:
    layer functionality
    1 physical (e.g., repeaters)
    2 datalink/subnetwork (e.g., bridges)
    3 internet (e.g., supports the IP)
    4 end-to-end (e.g., supports the TCP)
    7 applications (e.g., supports the SMTP)
    For systems including OSI protocols, layers 5 and 6
    may also be counted.

    1.What are Possible values for sysServices ?
    How the sysServices value computed by the vendors?

    Thanks in advance

    KuttapanPro, Nov 5, 2007