Detective work...running processes

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Borg Di Milos, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. Of a total of 32 running processes, I found explanations online, using
    Google, for all but three.

    Also, the running processes showed that four copies of 'svchost.exe'
    were running. This file was called a keeper and necessary and I guess
    there are four legitimate programs using....Does that sound correct?

    Not found:
    ltsmg.exe
    System

    Found, but what is it? Is it necessary?
    System Idle Process

    I'm helping a friend with her two week old computer which apparently
    was sold in an infested state with a non functional Norton AV and
    hundreds of pop-ups including one flag waver looking for recruits in
    the US Military. Is the government involved here? We put an end to
    the pop-ups by installing a blocker.

    Has anyone else experienced such crap on a newly purchased machine?

    Comments please

    Thanks

    Borg Di Milos, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Borg Di Milos

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes.

    A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056

    Where is the file situated?
    What does the properties of the file tell you?
    Upload it for checking here:
    http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus

    Yes, it's necessary. It tracks the amount of system resources that
    aren't used.
    If it was sold as second hand, then anything's possible.
    Reformat and start again.

    °Mike°, Jun 21, 2004

  3. Borg Di Milos

    SgtMinor Guest

    Lemme guess: California!

    SgtMinor, Jun 21, 2004
  4. Actually it is a new out of the box computer purchased from OfficeMaX.
    We do have a guarantee and a extended insurance for onsight service.

    I am trying to fix what I can and also formulate the right questions
    to put to the 'house doctor' and to be knowledgeable also.

    Your reply was helpful, Thanks

    Borg Di Milos, Jun 21, 2004
  5. Borg Di Milos

    ~S~ Guest

    get the google toolbar, best popup blocker simple

    spybot/search/destroy quite nice
    will stop shitty programs/spyware/malware
    also adaware, get that too

    system idle is vital so don't get in a huff

    ~S~

    your situation is nowhere near unbearable if you get those softs, and up to
    date
    virus/firewall

    ~S~, Jun 21, 2004
  6. Virtually any "name brand" computer that you buy with an OS and software
    already installed will have a lot of extra junk, including spyware and
    adware. Learning how to clean the crap out is good practice for later
    occurrences picking it up.

    Most if not all of these machines will not come with a plain operating
    system disk, but rather a "system restore" disk--which, of course, will
    load all of that crap back onto the machine when you use it.

    The moral is: NEVER buy a machine that does NOT come with
    --a manufacturer's installation disk for the operating system and all
    software
    --manuals
    And NEVER install special software which comes on the manufacturer's
    CDs: you have no idea what you're getting--well, actually, you do: a bunch
    of crap you'll only end up removing later.

    The ideal situation is to build your own computer and install your own
    operating system and software. That way you know exactly what's on your
    machine and you have control over it, especially if you install Linux and
    keep out of the clutches of Bill the Emperor.

    Gary G. Taylor, Jun 21, 2004
  7. Borg Di Milos

    Toolman Tim Guest

    True. The first thing I do at work when we get our new Dells each year is
    format the stinkin' hard drive, then clean install Windows XP from a
    standard install disk. That eliminates SO many problems right from the
    start!

    Yeah yeah... <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jun 21, 2004
  8. Borg Di Milos