desktops see laptop, but can not connect to it and viceversa

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Nov 1, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I just installed my new wireless router to my network consisting of 3
    computers (2 desktops, 1 laptop). The 2 desktops are no problem, they are
    connected (wired) and one can open files on the other. Internet access
    through my DSL-modem and network printing are working fine.

    Only my laptop is making problems: Its wireless utility-software is showing
    me a good connection to the wireless router at a high signal strength. Both
    desktop are telling me that there is a laptop, but they can not connect to it
    (you have no rights or so...but they have). The diagnostic software of the
    wireless router is telling me, that it can locate laptop. So obviously
    everything should work fine.

    Has anybody an idea, how I can connect the laptop properly? Could there be
    any conflict, because of the fact, that the laptop previously was connected
    wired to the router? Should I deinstall this connection?

    After installing the wireless PCI-Card on my laptop and reaching the WLAN I
    wanted to install a home-network through windows xp home edition. After
    starting the client in windows xp the OS only shows me the Ethernet-Card of
    my laptop but not the PCI-wireless-Card. In network-connections windows XP
    shows me both, the ethernet-based connection (which actually is not
    connected) and the newly installed PCI-wireless-Card (which is connected).
    Any suggestions?

    Guest, Nov 1, 2004

  2. Guest

    Tanya Guest

    Disable the wired if you aren't using it. No need to remove it I have wired,
    wireless and a modem listed but only use the wireless.

    Tanya, Nov 1, 2004