Desktop Parent Folders won't let me uncheck READ ONLY

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Polite, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. Polite

    Polite Guest

    Running Win XP Home Edition on an eMachine 1.1GHz. (Have a wireless
    network connecting my laptop to this PC).
    I've a number of different folders on my desktop each containing sub
    folders and many files.
    I have noticed that all these different parent folders on the desktop
    seem to be READ ONLY when you look at the folders properties (right
    clicking the mouse).
    If I uncheck the read only attribute, XP then says "You have chosen to
    make the following parameter changes: unset read-only" I then select
    "apply these changes to folder, sub-folder and files".
    I then click APPLY and XP then displays that it is changing the
    attributes.

    However, when I then recheck the parent folder's attributes, it is
    still READ ONLY.

    I seem to be unable to change the parent folder's read only
    attributes.

    This is a pain because my backup prog (Retrospect version 5.1) won't
    backup any folders that are read only and therefore isn't backing up
    any of the sub-folders and files within each parent folder as each
    parent folder is saying it is read only.

    By the way, all the sub-folders and files are NOT read only, only the
    respective parent folders...

    How do I fix this???

    Polite, Feb 18, 2004

  2. Polite

    Patrick Guest

    *seem* to be !
    Are you perhaps mistakeing the box being filled green, rather than box
    haveing a tick in ?
    Click the Read-Only box several times to see that thiere are three different
    states for it.
    I suspect that even if you put the tick in the box it will revert to
    'filled'

    Patrick, Feb 18, 2004

  3.
    Misa Mirkovic, Feb 21, 2004