    file and display the Icons.

    Is this true?

    Maria

    Maria, Nov 21, 2004

  2. Maria

    Nik Schlein Guest

    Well I believe there is some truth to it. But I believe that it only checks
    for actually working paths when you press f5 or at startup. After that then
    it just has a background timer monitoring if your click on them. Even if it
    was stealing CPU cycles, its probably no worse then the Real Play and
    Quicktime player you probably have loaded in the background you don't even
    know about.

    Nik Schlein, Nov 21, 2004

  3. Maria

    °Mike° Guest

    There is absolutely no reason to have 91 icons on your
    desktop. You should delete any that are already in the
    Start/Programs menu, and any that you need quick access
    to can be dragged to your quicklaunch bar. The rest
    should be dragged onto the Start/Programs menu,
    in folders and subfolders, to keep things neat and tidy.
    You should NOT keep anything on your desktop permanently,
    as you could lose it all if the system crashes and a
    reinstallation is necessary. Always keep your desktop tidy.
    With regards to the "scanning/interrogating" question, I
    believe what your friend is referring to is that Windows
    keeps a cache of all icons, and too many can expand the
    cache to a point where Windows has to continually adjust
    the cache, which has a finite size.

    °Mike°, Nov 21, 2004
  4. Maria

    CoCo Guest

    hi

    hmm..mike the iconcache is not infinite, it's default size is 2048 or
    4096 in xp depending on settings.

    coco

    CoCo, Nov 21, 2004
  5. Maria

    °Mike° Guest

    Where did I say that the icon cache was infinite?

    °Mike°, Nov 21, 2004
  6. Maria

    CoCo Guest

    ops.....sorry! to quick to read...
    but windows do not adjust the cache bu itself, you have to do it yourself

    coco

    CoCo, Nov 21, 2004
  7. Maria

    °Mike° Guest

    I also never said that Windows adjusts the *size* of the cache,
    I said that it has to adjust the cache, meaning the contents of
    the cache.

    °Mike°, Nov 21, 2004
  8. Maria

    Maria Guest

    Thank you Mike, but that would be matter of operational efficiency, I'd say?
    Like brushing your teeth? What is your reasoning behind this statement?
    I need my URLs and Files, not just Program links.
    I understand that Windows scans my Keyboard interface as well as my Mouse as well as
    my Desktop continuously for ANY manual input. as well as other sources (e.g.
    networking) for signals.

    The questions remains: is this true for my desktop Icons? Is Windows lurking for
    occasional clicks i.e. inputs? If so, it consumes CPU power howerver, I cannot see
    that, even using TaskInfo 2003.

    Where is this 'cache'? Can I see/monitor it?

    Thanks for your response,
    Maria

    Maria, Nov 21, 2004
  9. There is another aspect of the icon thing:
    - if you have a on-access virus scanner, it permanently scans the files and
    links on your desktop since it quite often refreshes. Might give a
    considerable performance hit
    - often enough one forgets to put just links on the desktop, and instead
    moves complete workfiles or folders there, again leaving the files open and
    on exposure to accidents and due to be wiped away by scandisk after any
    crash: the desktop is the most unsafe area where you can store files!

    Walter Mautner, Nov 21, 2004
  10. Maria

    °Mike° Guest

    No, not at all. It's a matter of a LACK of efficiency to keep
    all of your links/icons on the desktop. The desktop should
    be viewed as a temporary storage space, just like a desktop
    in a place of work -- you have drawers, inboxes, outboxes,
    etc. at work, and your Windows Explorer has folders to
    perform the same kind of function.
    I already gave my reasoning. Read it again.
    You will still have them. You do NOT need them all on your desktop.
    The keyboard scanning/CPU cycles and the icons on your desktop
    are not interrelated -- keyboard scanning is performed even BEFORE
    windows is loaded, and is an integral part of any operating system.
    Windows does, however, have to refresh your desktop continually,
    as it is a multi-tasking operating system. It has to take into account
    all icons, new, old, deleted etc. In short, the amount of icons on
    your desktop CAN be a burdon on system resources, and the
    points I made earlier about safety (the desktop is NOT a storage
    area), and efficiency.
    It is a Windows-managed "IconCache.db" file, found in:
    \Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Nov 21, 2004
  11. Maria

    Maria Guest

    Thank you guys, very useful information.
    Ciao, Maria

    Maria, Nov 22, 2004
  12. Maria

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Walter Mautner mused:

    | There is another aspect of the icon thing:
    | - if you have a on-access virus scanner, it permanently scans the files
    | and links on your desktop since it quite often refreshes. Might give a
    | considerable performance hit

    While the desktop display is refreshed at regular intervals, the files
    themselves are not. The Save/Accessed/Modified dates stay the same. AV
    real-time scans look for new or changed files ... not refreshed display
    items. It will only re-scan files if they are changed. The refresh of the
    desktop display doesn't qualify here.

    mhicaoidh, Nov 22, 2004