    Has anyone seen this behaviour in XP or know of a fix for it?

    Thanks!

    jim

    JimTheAverage, Jan 18, 2008

  2. Thanks Alan! Who knew about the change in behaviour at 100 images?

    But, as for reducing cross-posting, that also reduces the number of people
    that see the solution.

    Cross-posting is NOT a bad thing. In fact, it saves system resources (one
    messaage with pointers from othe NGs saves space and bandwidth).
    Multi-posting is bad (as it consumes resources by sending the same message
    to multiple groups on every mail server).

    Thanks again.

    (cross-posting resumed)

    JimTheAverage, Jan 19, 2008

  3. JimTheAverage

    Pennywise Guest

    You can use Process Monitor and see
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

    Just be sure to use the filters, start the capture, click into the
    Background listbox - stop the capture and view the paths.

    Pennywise, Jan 19, 2008
  4. JimTheAverage

    Claymore Guest

    The only way that I know of to stop this annoyance is first, never
    select a picture from your default 'My Pictures' folder, and if you
    already have, create another folder, say "Pictures", and move all your
    photos there. The 'My Pictures' folder is set as a system folder,
    really only to allow software writers to use it as a default storage
    folder for images.

    Claymore, Jan 19, 2008
  5. JimTheAverage

    Pennywise Guest

    The folder is required for the Windows Logo; To allow all programs a
    place to store images.

    Pennywise, Jan 19, 2008
  6. The solution was posted by Alan - but he freaked about cross-posting and
    only replied to a single group. I postedit above, but will do so here for
    anybody else that may be vexxed with this situation.

    The solution it seems is to place more than 100 images in your My Pictures
    folder. They can all be in the My Pictures folder or scattered among sub
    folders of My Pictures....just so you have more than 100 pictures under the
    My Pictures folder.

    Then, at least on my system, the listbox correctly shows only those images
    in the %SystemRoot%/Web/Wallpaper folder.

    Thanks again Alan.

    jim

    JimTheAverage, Jan 19, 2008
  7. JimTheAverage

    JJ206 Guest

    I have the same OS and I don't see that in my bmp list. So something is
    awol. How many bmp files do you have ? I converted over to jpg long ago
    and just convert a few jpgs to bmp if I like them enough to make them
    the wallpaper.

    good luck,

    geothermal

    JJ206, Jan 19, 2008
  8. I had less than 20 bmp images but I had them in the
    %SystemRoot%/Web/Wallpaper and My Pictures - so they showed in the list
    twice.

    Evidentally XP is hard coded to work this way until you have >100 images in
    My Pictures - at which point it only looks in your
    %SystemRoot%/Web/Wallpaper directory for wallpapers to list.

    Adding more images (>100) to my My Pictures folder stopped this behaviour.

    jim

    JimTheAverage, Jan 19, 2008