    I have various folders setup as share with no password, full access.

    However Laptop can not see desktop at all.

    what can I do?

    cteq, Jan 22, 2004

  2. cteq

    Spider Guest

    Hello
    I have seen issues with trying to connect to shares with no password set. I'm not sure if that is a default policy set in XP or not, but I think it is. Try not using blank passwords. Also you may find this site useful:
    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article64-page1.php

    Spider
    http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1

    Spider, Jan 22, 2004

  3. cteq

    cteq Guest

    I have set no passwords at all, doesnt give me options on password.

    cteq, Jan 22, 2004
  4. cteq

    Jerry G. Guest

    If you are running any firewall software that is active on the Ethernet
    ports, turn them all off. If you are on a DSL modem, you would be best off
    using a hardware type firewall between the modem and the router or port that
    it is connected to. Many of the routers now have a built in firewall.

    Using software firewall programs use a lot of resources, and also cause a
    lot of difficulties in home networking. One has to know how to set them up
    properly. The simplest way around this, and the best for computer resources,
    is to use a hardware firewall outside of the computer.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Hello

    I have laptop and desktop with winxp pro (both start without password
    as admin)

    I have got SMC wireless router and PCMCIA card as well as USB adaptor
    for Desktop.

    Laptop and desktop both show they are connected and signal is good.

    Desktop can see the laptop but will not give me access to it although

    Jerry G., Jan 22, 2004
  5. cteq

    Rifleman Guest

    Slightly off-topic - if by the above you mean each machine starts
    automatically with the built-in Administrator account, then DON'T! That is
    your ONLY way into the machine other than by doing a repair install of XP.
    Create a user account and give it Admin rights - save the built-in admin
    account for emergencies only.

    Rifleman, Jan 22, 2004