    Another example of how our cops write their own laws as they see fit.

    Me? I'd tell the cop to go ahead and charge me any way he wants. He'll
    have his chance to explain it to the judge and jury.

    richard, Aug 29, 2009

  2. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    He was a school security guard, sto0pid. They're no more required to know
    the letter of the law than you are. Apparently the picture on the placard
    could have been considered 'inflammatory', which is apparently illegal on
    school grounds in the US.

    The sto0pid security guard made a bad choice of words at the end, but what
    he said could be interpreted to mean 'You're not in America, where your
    poster isn't considered 'inflammatory', you're on school grounds where it
    is'.

    Don't thank me, I'm glad to have helped clear it up for you.

    Carry on.

    Aardvark, Aug 29, 2009

  3. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    BTW, it occurred at South Lakes High School in Reston, VA. on Tuesday.

    Read much?

    Aardvark, Aug 29, 2009
  4. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    RtS doesn't know how to read.

    Evan Platt, Aug 29, 2009
  5. richard

    NormanM Guest

    I can't tell, from the video, if this guy was a bona fide city cop, or a
    "rent-a-Cop". But I can tell you, even a "rent-a-cop" can't write his own
    laws. However he can enforce the client's restrictions for access to
    property. I am speaking as a holder of a card issued by the State of
    California Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Security and
    Investigative Services"; commonly called a, "Guard Card".

    As a store clerk I have evicted two people from the premises. As a Pinkerton
    Security Officer, I kept a tow truck operator on hold pending word from my
    client agent whether to allow him to tow a car on client property.

    That officer was hired to monitor a potentially explosive affair, organize
    by a political official on school property. The event organizer can set the
    rules, and the officer can enforce those rules. Any member of the public
    dis-respecting the event rules can have their right to access to that
    property revoked; after which, his presence is, indeed, trespassing.

    I also volunteer staff at an annual convention, which rents the McEnery
    Convention Center, in San José, California. Although I am not one so
    authorized, there are staffers with the authority to revoke a guest's
    permission to attend the convention. One year, such a revocation was issued
    against an attendee who attempted to shoplift merchandise at the Dealer's
    Room. His guest card was recovered by appropriate staff, and he was escorted
    off of the premises. He returned the next day, using a pass borrowed from a
    friend, and returned to the Dealer's Room to attempt to continue his
    predation. I witnessed the arrival of the police paddy wagon, and his person
    being place in the ride to the gaol. No sympathy for thieves, here.
    Based on what I saw, in that video, you would lose. Sorry. But those are the
    breaks.

    NormanM, Aug 30, 2009
  6. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    Oh geez, RtS the security guard? They must have been desperate.
    St00pid strikes again.

    Evan Platt, Aug 30, 2009
  7. <crossposts axed>

    Love it!
    ;)

    YuuShtrokHeet-AlWauch, Aug 30, 2009
  8. richard

    NormanM Guest

    And a security officer has all of the same powers as any private citizen, in
    addition to the authority he has been given by the client regarding
    restricting access to private events.
    Just because an event is held on public property does not make it a "public
    event". When the Anime Resource Group rents the public property called,
    "McEnery Convention Center", they can require passes to access certain areas
    which can be restricted. The convention center concourse is always open to
    the public, but the ballrooms, and event halls can have staffers at the
    doors to turn non-attendees away.

    I've also worked security for wedding receptions, held in publicly owned
    facilities, yet leased by private parties. Being public property only means
    public tax money paid for the facility. But the agency responsible for
    booking events, can book private events, and the rules of the booking entity
    can be, mostly, enforced; especially in areas which allow for restricted
    access.

    NormanM, Aug 30, 2009
  9. richard

    Aratzio Guest

    He excretes dense.

    Aratzio, Aug 30, 2009
  10. richard

    Aratzio Guest

    Stoopid once more demonstrates just why he is The Stoopid.

    Aratzio, Aug 30, 2009
  11. richard

    NormanM Guest

    The video was very selective in its presentation, and designed to favor the
    viewpoint of the poster of the video. In itself, it lacks sufficient context
    to form any rational opinions.

    And event need not charge admission to be private. Those wedding receptions
    I was assigned to for security were neither events that the public could pay
    to attend, nor public events. They were "by invitation only" events.
    Out of context. All I said was:

    | And a security officer has all of the same powers as any private citizen ...

    You might wish to review the power of "Citizen's Arrest". Beyond those
    powers any ordinary citizen has, a security officer is authorized to act on
    behalf of the client's interests. Within, of course, the constraints of the
    law.

    I have been too lazy to do any more research on this event. You didn't even
    provide any background, just a link to a highly selective video; which lacks
    a broader context.

    NormanM, Aug 30, 2009
  12. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    That's obvious.

    All the background information about the clip was on the YT page you
    linked, plus some suggestions from viewers' comments as to why the
    security guard behaved as he did.

    Aardvark, Aug 30, 2009
  13. richard

    Buffalo Guest

    Especially if those lampshades are made of human skin.
    Only if you are within 12 feet of the vat.

    Buffalo, Aug 30, 2009
  14. richard

    NormanM Guest

    I have a cousin who loved a certain Neil Young anti war song, but she had
    know idea what the song was about. She was singing the lyrics at a party,
    once, but when she got to the chorus, she sang, "Forgetting Ohio". She was
    shocked to learn what the song commemorated (shocked at the anti military
    protest aspect of the song; she was a die-hard military brat), and surprised
    to learn the actual words.

    NormanM, Aug 31, 2009
  15. Meat Plow <> pinched out a steaming pile
    The one where they render the fat of unbaptized infants of course.

    HTH

    /___/_/|_/\____/_//_/ \[email protected]_/ \__|\__|\____/\____\_\

    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 31, 2009
  16. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    Vat 69 (and that *ain't* the Pope's phone number)

    :)

    Aardvark, Aug 31, 2009
  17. Norm, there is a VERY large difference between "no" (which is what I
    believe you meant) and "know" (which is what you wrote).

    It really cannot be *that* difficult to differentiate between the two
    (spellings).

    (-)

    Codswallop Balderdash, Aug 31, 2009
  18. richard

    NormanM Guest

    My spell checker can't differentiate, and I was to groggy to see it myself.

    NormanM, Aug 31, 2009
  19. You were to groggy, eh? I can see it from here!!! ;-)

    [re: to and too]
    http://tekrider.net/general/checker.php

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 1, 2009
  20. At least you didn't write "sea" for "see". <grin>

    Codswallop Balderdash, Sep 1, 2009