    Any ideas, or should I just say goodbye to those files?

    Thanks
    Richard

    rc, Oct 7, 2006

  2. From: "rc" <>

    | My Windows 2000 Pro system recently died, and, of course, my backups were
    | not completely up to date.
    |
    | I can get to most of the files by adding the disk (NTFS) as a slave on
    | another machine, but one folder is protected with full control granted to my
    | user account and no other access. Perhaps not surprisingly access is denied
    | by the new (XP) machine.
    |
    | I cannot boot from the disk on the other machine (even when it is the only
    | disk on the machine), nor does my WIN2K install CD seem interested in
    | repairing Windows to allow some sort of start, even in safe mode.
    |
    | Any ideas, or should I just say goodbye to those files?
    |
    | Thanks
    | Richard

    You have to take Ownership of the full drive due to the change od SIDs when the OS was
    re-generated.

    This has NOTHING to do with WinXP, per se. It has to do with Security Identifiers and NTFS.
    Whe you re-created a OS the OS used a new SID which doesn't match those used on the old
    NTFS partition thus denying access. That why you need to take ownership as the
    "administrator".

    David H. Lipman, Oct 7, 2006

  3. rc

    rc Guest

    Many thanks for your help. I have now recovered all my files (I've also
    backed them up now!)

    Richard

    rc, Oct 8, 2006