DeMon?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Mountain Mike^^, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. You still around?

    MM^^<--just wondering

    Mountain Mike^^, Feb 29, 2004

  2. Mountain Mike^^

    Thor Guest

    his royal hyperhandedness is still a regular here.

    ;-)

    Thor, Feb 29, 2004

  3. Mountain Mike^^

    Michael-NC Guest

    How could he miss him???

    ;-)

    Michael-NC, Feb 29, 2004
  4. Mountain Mike^^

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Yup, still here. Been working a bit more than usual at three different
    jobs plus I still have school, so I don't reply as much as I used to. I
    get home and check and there are 10 questions and Thor has already answered
    8 of them flawlessly, so I figure I'll just save the bandwith and time to
    repeat Thor :)

    Also I'm working on my site, http://demonlag.com and that's taking a ton of
    time to set up.

    You also may miss me because I don't post through Supernews anymore, I now
    post through Octanews because they are far faster and way cheaper than
    Supernews, but with no where near the spam filtering. So yes, I'm around.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 29, 2004
  5. Mountain Mike^^

    V W Wall Guest

    Just a note: Checked your site and it's almost unreadable, (blue on black), in
    both Netscape 4.80 and IE 6. The journal part is OK.

    Thought you might want to know.

    P.S.: I can appreciate life in NJ---grew up in Millburn, Army Signal Corps
    basic training at Sea Girt. California has it beat all to hell!

    Virg Wall
    --

    Any sufficiently advanced technology
    is indistinguishable from magic.

    Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law

    V W Wall, Feb 29, 2004
  6. Mountain Mike^^

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Blue on black!? This is the CSS I'm using to style it:
    body {color: white; background-color: black}

    In both IE6 and Mozilla FireFox nightlies I see white text on a black
    background. Are you sure you aren't loading a custom stylesheet that is
    overriding mine?

    DeMoN LaG, Mar 1, 2004
  7. White text on black background for me, only blue is the links, and we both
    know that color is set on my end. :)

    Douglas A. Shrader, Mar 1, 2004
  8. Mountain Mike^^

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Which isn't technically true, as I could very easily say:
    A {color: red;}
    A:visited {color:yellow;}

    And make it whatever color I want. But in this case, you are correct as I
    don't believe it's necessary to style my links.

    DeMoN LaG, Mar 1, 2004
  9. If you did style them you wouldn't use IE's default colors anyway.

    Douglas A. Shrader, Mar 1, 2004
  10. Mountain Mike^^

    V W Wall Guest

    Using Netscape 7.1 it's OK as you say. Netscape 4.8 shows the heading
    not centered (all text is set left). Once I removed Proximitron from
    IE 6, it was OK. It's also OK on MyIE2.

    Visited links ars so dark as to be almost invisible on even the
    correct renderings. You might consider litening up the background.
    The journal is OK, but I suppose you're using the "canned" format.

    Hope we soon get over the browser wars! I have to keep IE to get
    Microsoft sites, and I use Netscape 4.8 for most everything else.
    I know it's not the best, but I'm too lazy to change. Will try
    FireFox when I get a round toit.

    Virg Wall

    V W Wall, Mar 1, 2004
  11. Mountain Mike^^

    Plato Guest

    Tho they seem to be heating up a bit with the new ones out.
    Me too, including silly folks who just do their pages for viewing in IE.

    Plato, Mar 1, 2004
  12. Mountain Mike^^

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Netscape 4.8 requires a half million work around hacks to get CSS to work
    at all, and I don't quite care if it shows right in that browser. Anyone
    using a Netscape product should upgrade to a Gecko based product, Netscape
    4.8 is a PITA anyway.

    I'll see if I can't reinstall Proxomitron and see what it is stripping from
    the page that is causing IE to show it incorrectly.
    I'll consider changing the visited link color. I like white on black, as
    it's very easy to read for most people, as opposed to black on white.
    Once you use FireFox, you won't want to go back to Netscape 4.8 :)

    DeMoN LaG, Mar 1, 2004
  13. Mountain Mike^^

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    I found a really odd quirk in IE. Using a doctype that puts IE into
    standards mode, having a DIV with text-align: center defined, nested inside
    a DIV with text-align: center defined, the nested DIVs text is shifted
    about 75% to the right. Both DIVs have a width of 100%, so both end up
    encompassing the entire view, but the second DIV ends up being shifted to
    the right by a ton for no reason I can find. From what I see, the CSS I
    used conforms to the W3C's CSS standard, the HTML is 100% valid HTML4.0
    markup, but IE botches the job (both Opera and Gecko browsers show it
    right). This actually made me spend another 15 minutes designing a
    workaround. I wish I could send to Microsoft:

    Bill for services rendered:
    ..25 hours * $30/hr = $7.50
    Reason:
    Crappy bug in your web browser that I have to work around

    But I feel that would end up getting me no where :(

    DeMoN LaG, Mar 1, 2004
  14. Mountain Mike^^

    bambam Guest

    bambam, Mar 1, 2004
  15. Very light silver/gray, rather than white, on black would be my vote.

    BB

    BinaryBillTheSailor, Mar 1, 2004
  16. Mountain Mike^^

    V W Wall Guest

    Thanks. I'll put with my collection of others like it as soon as
    I get aroundtuit!

    Virg Wall

    PS: I am beginning to think I ought to bite the bullet and re-arrange
    my computing set-up. I'm still using Windows98FE with most of the
    MS updates. No problem with crashes, and it is set up to boot to
    Linux RH9 directly from within Windows with a .pif shortcut. Just
    recently had a problem trying to use my son's router to get DSL.
    I know Win98FE has network connection problems, but there are
    supposed to be third party programs that work with it.

    I still use a lot of old DOS programs, some of which I wrote in
    pre-Windows days, so easy access to DOS is important. They all
    work with DOS 7.x, so that's not a problem if I keep FAT32.

    Was thinking of setting up a WinXP computer as a second system.
    I know I could dual boot XP with 98, but that's a bit much.

    Another need for a "Round Tuit"!

    VW

    V W Wall, Mar 1, 2004
  17. Mountain Mike^^

    V W Wall Guest

    I agree entirely, but it works fine with my bank's site, and my two stock broker
    accounts. I use it for e-mail and news groups just out of laziness, where it
    work well enough. It at least avoids some of the MS security problems.
    I have Netscape 7.1, Mozilla and Opera. It's just a matter of moving everything
    that's on N 4.8 now.
    I keep Prox on IE because I often use it for big-charts.com, which has
    dozens of ads that Prox eliminates, cutting the time in half. There
    are many sites that Proximitron messes up, even when it's set to "By
    Pass". I think Thor found the same problem.
    Just don't use that format for anything you think people might want to print.
    Now that bam-bam directed me to a Roundtuit, I'll give it a try.
    What makes a good e-mail--news reader complement to FireFox?
    I have X-news, but it seems overly complex.

    Virg Wall

    V W Wall, Mar 1, 2004
  18. Mountain Mike^^

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Xnews is simple once you figure it out, takes about a week or two to get
    used to it though.

    As for printing, it's real simple, just make another set of style rules
    that apply to printed documents.

    DeMoN LaG, Mar 1, 2004
  19. Light gray type is printable with no additional rules needed. It also looks a
    bit more polished and stylish than stark, raw, white on black.

    BB

    BinaryBillTheSailor, Mar 1, 2004
  20. Mountain Mike^^

    Trent© Guest

    Change the background to something more soothing. Its too hard to
    read.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Mar 2, 2004