DEMENTED Windows Media Player V11.0.6001.7004

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by ChrisCoaster, Jan 1, 2011.

  1. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    OS: Vista

    PLATFORM: 2007 HP Pavilion

    Ever since disabling some automatic features under the Library,
    Player, and Devices tabs in the WMP options, the following
    behaviors(among others) have occured:

    1. Upon initial use during session, WMP takes up to 5 minutes to
    start playing selection.

    2. Features such as Graphic Equalizer, Play Speed, or SRS Wow do not
    have effect unless I shut WMP down and reopen it.(No big deal - just
    an extra 10sec to hear what I want).

    Any suggs/comments/experiences similar?

    -ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster, Jan 1, 2011

  2. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    _____________________
    HullOOOH? This is not spam or troll bait.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Jan 2, 2011

  3. ChrisCoaster

    Kele Guest

    Undo changes > change one at a time to find culprit of Ever since.

    I haven't opened Windows Media player in 40 moons.
    Uninstall/Reinstall/restore defaults so it can fix itself (keep personal
    settings - no)? Sounds like it's spending time trying to connect somewhere
    and chokes. Try go to Services and disable Windows Media Network Sharing
    service.

    Why I like VLC is that it's lite and fast to open and start playing just
    about any media type - makes a good default player because of its quickness.
    Why I like Jet Audio is that media files sound and look just a little
    better. Why I stopped using Winamp... Jet Audio.

    Windows Media plug-in, DFX, is a good one:
    http://www.fxsound.com/dfx/index.php?vendor=0&subvendor=0&plus=0&refer=0

    -------------------
    _____________________

    Kele, Jan 2, 2011
  4. ChrisCoaster

    Paul Guest

    You can find web sites that specialize in WMP.

    http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html

    The path of least resistance, is to find another player.
    Microsoft doesn't seem to be too interested in
    building a usable media player. Otherwise, they
    would have offered more repair/reinstall options
    for WMP. Nuking your C: drive to fix this, doesn't
    sound very friendly as a solution.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 2, 2011
  5. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    _________________________

    The thing is it's slow to start playing only on the first time. If i
    close it and reopen it to play something else it plays it right away.
    The funky graphic EQ behavior(turning it on and off and hearing no
    effect) occurs at random. Sometimes once or twice per session or
    sometimes never. Basically the stuff I disabled is all stuff WMP does
    automatically, no secret folders or anything.

    Also my new Canon powershot camera I cannot get videos to play in WMP.
    They play only in Quicktime and you cannot uncheck the MP4 default
    under Quicktime.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Jan 2, 2011
  6. ChrisCoaster

    Paul Guest

    What does GSpot report, for the file type and CODECs used ?
    Perhaps that'll give a hint as to what's up. (Basically,
    what GSpot does, is similar to GraphEdit. GSpot requests
    the construction of a filter graph, and that shows what
    DirectShow components are being used to play a movie. Or
    something to that effect. You use this, when you don't
    really know what kind of file it is.)

    http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/index.htm

    http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/GSpot270a.zip

    Doesn't the OS have final authority over the binding
    of file types to applications ? Could you fix the binding
    in Windows, rather than relying on some panel in QuickTime ?
    On my Windows 7 laptop, something called "Default Programs"
    seems to set the association. Someone installed QuickTime
    on that machine (I didn't put it on there), and using
    Default Programs, I was able to steal .mp4 away from
    QuickTime. Double clicking a sample .mp4 downloaded
    from Apple, got WMP to intercept the request. So the
    association change, seemed to be working.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 2, 2011
  7. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    __________________
    Went into default programs. Under quicktime, the checkbox for mp4s
    cannot be unchecked.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Jan 3, 2011
  8. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    __________________
    Paul: I managed to change the "Association" under Default Programs,
    but when I went to find the files to play them - they weren't there!!!

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Jan 3, 2011
  9. ChrisCoaster

    Paul Guest

    So you had a sample .mp4 but it disappeared ?

    There are some small and ugly files here you could test with.
    Download the .mp4 one, then see if the right thing happens
    when you double click.

    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1425

    You can also test your new copy of GSpot with it :)
    It says a CODEC of "mp4v" is needed to play it.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 3, 2011
  10. ChrisCoaster

    Kele Guest

    Ok, I opened Win Media Player (version 11) - it still opens and I uncheck
    everything automatic. I did so to confirm what I didn't think was there.
    There's no file type association listed in Windows Media for the .mov file
    type and that's the type Canon cameras produce for videos, .mov*. You'll
    "jump through hoops" looking for a MOV codex for Windows Media Player ; )
    This is the part where I'll talk smack about QuickTime infiltrator, unable
    to fully uninstall, calls home, bloated media player. Lots of people
    complain that Canon uses .mov/QuickTime instead of AVI for their point and
    shoot cameras. If I ever want to share a .mov camera video, I convert it to
    AVI first so I don't subject "my people" of having to use QuickTime. All
    purpose media player VLC plays .mov files so QuickTime went bye-bye.

    * I'm not a video expert... isn't MP4 a container whatever. But I know the
    file extension for Canon camera videos is .mov. You can see file
    extensions... in Folder Options > uncheck "Hide extensions for known file
    types".

    Did you try uninstalling Windows Media yet to see if reinstalling will cure,
    revert back, it's settings and fix the intermittent problems? I think, like
    Internet Explorer, that uninstalling will only revert Windows Media back to
    it's previous version. I have XP, tried Internet Explorer 8 but reverted
    back to IE7 because there was a couple half broken functions with XP/IE8 and
    s l o w - kinda like you describe about your Win Media Player. Maybe a
    revert back to previously installed version will hook you up. Back-up plan:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/windows-media-player

    Older versions: http://www.oldversion.com/Windows-Media-Player.html (player
    9 was my fave)

    PS: try this... right click on a camera made video and select "Open With" >
    "Choose Program" and pick whichever media player you want (WMP) with the
    checked box "always use this program". Say yes if Windows Media asks to try
    and play this. Take charge, Chris!

    --------------------

    Kele, Jan 3, 2011
  11. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    __________________________
    This was no sample .mp4 it was my New Years Eve footage from our HOUSE
    PARTY! Good thing I had copied it to multiple folders on my PC and
    still had it on my camera.
    If changing an association causes files to disappear SCREW IT. I'm
    leaving is as is!
    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Jan 3, 2011
  12. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    Kele - Thanks for restoring the WMP version# in the title of my post!
    It should should serve as common sense to note the version number of
    the software/OS/whatever one has a question about.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Jan 6, 2011