Deluged with multiple copies, sometimes, when using yahoo mail to check POP mail

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dakota7, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. dakota7

    dakota7 Guest

    I have multiple email accounts, but check all my email through Yahoo
    mail's "check other mail" feature.

    The sequence goes:

    1. All emails that I send are sent through a yahoo account.

    2. The yahoo account is configured so that the reply address points to a
    POP account (in this case, with rochester.rr.com).

    3. To read email, I use "check other mail" in yahoo to download mail off
    the RR server to my yahoo account. The mail is then deleted from the RR
    server. Yahoo applies the filters that I have set up, sending obvious
    junk mail to the trash, and I'm left with my inbox containing any new
    messages sent to me.

    4. I read these new messages in yahoo. If I reply to them, that takes
    me back to Step 1 above.

    Sporadically, I'd say maybe once every 50-100 times I check my POP mail
    this way, a weird thing happens. Yahoo mail just appears to hang.
    Normally, this "check other mail" seems to take maybe 2-5 seconds. In
    this odd case, yahoo mail is visibly working, but nothing happens for a
    minute and often longer.

    When all is said and done, I'll wind up with dozens of copies of the
    same email message in my yahoo inbox. At times, I've used mail2web, or
    RR's own web-based mail program, to peek at their servers, which show
    only one copy of the message on the RR server while yahoo is downloading
    the message multiple times.

    I know that there is some protocol unfolding in which yahoo mail "knows"
    it's received a message, tells the RR server that the message has been
    delivered, RR deletes the message and tells Yahoo, etc., until all
    messages have been delivered to yahoo and deleted from RR. Obviously,
    something is getting messed up in this protocol 1 or 2% of the time.

    There is no pattern that I've discerned to the messages that I get
    multiple times. They have come from several addresses at several
    domains - but I usually get messages from those addresses just fine. I
    don't think any of the messages has ever contained graphics or an
    attachment. And I can't think of any unusual words or characters in the
    messages that might have triggered the strange behavior.

    Although I can usually work around this problem by just using mail2web
    or RR's web software to delete the "multiple" message from the RR
    server, I'd like it solved better. The folks at RR say they've never
    heard of this from anyone else and that it's a yahoo problem. I kind of
    believe them, but of course yahoo is pretty useless to work with in
    troubleshooting something.

    Has anyone else had this problem, with yahoo or with any other webmail
    that allows checking of POP mail? What could the problem be?

    dakota7, Oct 3, 2003

  2. dakota7

    Bicson Guest

    The problem stems from your OS, 95/98/98se/me do not support
    pop3 in Office/Outlook.. They prefer IMAP....remember Outlook
    Express is a part of I.E. Outlook is a part of Office...and if
    you are running any Office prior to 2002 you will encounter
    problems using rr.pop3 gateways.

    Bicson, Oct 4, 2003

  3. dakota7

    dakota7 Guest

    snip <
    As I think you realized, Outlook and IE don't figure into this. The
    problem comes when I use yahoo to read my RR mail.

    The other wrinkle is that sometime, one of the multiple emails
    downloaded into my yahoo account acts like a phantom message. It sits
    there looking unread, but I can't read it or delete it or move it or
    anything. Just see it sitting in my inbox.

    dakota7, Oct 5, 2003
  4. dakota7

    Bicson Guest

    I too have had a similar problem..rather than call the help
    desk..E-Mail your queries to ..Jason
    Shirell will respond very quickly and should be able to walk you
    through the remedy...it worked for me...but it took some
    internal actions from Jason to get the fix right..

    Bicson, Oct 5, 2003